Career Day to be ‘an awesome experience’

Career Day to be an awesome experience

Doctor, firefighter, designer, lawyer- all of us had great dreams and aspirations as kids. Now, on March 20, seniors at Cathedral Catholic will have the opportunity to preview what it would really be like to pursue these careers.

Next week, CCHS seniors will be able to attend two thirty-minute sessions with Uni alumni who have pursued jobs in many different areas. There are expected to be twenty-five to thirty speakers representing a broad range of professional fields.

To make the best informed decision on which presentations to choose, the seniors received information outlining the speakers’ education, jobs, employers, and general information in their English classes. After receiving the information, they filled out surveys marking their top three choices of career presentations to attend. All seniors are guaranteed at least one of their top three picks.

“Last year, the categories of professions were more general, so we are excited that we have narrowed it down further this year for students to make more specific choices,” said Mr. Tim Derenthal, director of alumni.

Seniors were able to choose from eleven fields under the categories of ‘public and service’, ‘business’, and ‘professional.’ The specific fields included education, health and safety, military, non-profit, government, finance, management, marketing, sales, law and medicine. There was also an option for seniors to request a separate specific career.

“Career day was very successful last year,” said Mr. Dave Silva, counselor. “We have used feedback on how to make it even better to further improve the experience for seniors this year.”

On March 20, all seniors participating in career day will go to half of their first class. From there, they will meet in the gym where the guest speakers will be introduced. Following a brief passing period, the seniors will attend their first session and second sessions. Then they will have the opportunity to meet with the speakers and ask them more specific questions in the quad. After all of this takes place, the seniors will go back to the second half of their first class.

“Overall, career day is an awesome experience,” said Mr. Silva. “It is great for the alumni to come back to Cathedral and for the kids to see what they might want to consider studying in college and pursuing as a future profession.”

View Comments (1)
Nicole Lobo, Editor-in-Chief
My name is Nicole-Ann Lobo, and I am the Editor-in-Chief of El Cid! I am very excited to continue my fourth year of journalism, and I hope to help make this paper the best in all of San Diego. My favorite things include classic rock, politics, literature, and the New York Times. I'm co-captain of both the Mock Trial and Speech & Debate teams, play badminton, and serve as an Executive Ambassador. My many passions in life include playing the piano, cooking, and traveling the world. I hope to double-major in political science and international relations before attending law school, and aspire to spend a year abroad in Europe. I can't wait for all that this year has to offer!

• A

Alec B.Apr 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Nicole is awesome. (except on opposite day)

Reply