New counselor Mrs. Bascom joins Cathedral staff

With the start of the new semester, CCHS acquired one new addition to the counseling team – Mrs. Ashley Bascom.

“I am very excited to be a part of the Cathedral Catholic family,” she said.  “Everyone has been so kind and welcoming.”

Born and raised in Ventura, California, Mrs. Bascom attended Moorepark High School where she was involved in cheerleading, ASB, and lots of AP courses. She attained her bachelor’s degree at San Diego State University before receiving her master’s at California Lutheran University.

“Originally, I was studying to be a teacher. If a student was having a bad day or seemed upset about something, I would make the whole class read just so I could talk to that student one-on-one and see what I could do to help them out,” Mrs. Bascom said.  “That’s when I realized that my real calling was to be a counselor since I am better at connecting with the students and getting in on what’s going on in their lives.”

Mrs. Bascom previously worked as a middle school counselor in Oceanside and, most recently, as a guidance counselor at Torrey Pines High School for four years. She then decided to come to Cathedral because, she said, she “…loved the religious aspect, like the strong faith and beliefs shared by everyone on campus.”

“I love meeting with students to learn about who they are. It’s so rewarding for me to help them realize all the potential they hold and all they can become,” she said.  “My favorite part of being a guidance counselor is watching a student really transform from ninth to twelfth grade, growing so much more confident in themselves and their abilities.”

At Cathedral, Mrs. Bascom says that she really likes getting to know students on a more personal level than at public schools, where she has worked her whole life.

She said, “Cathedral is definitely a step above some of the other schools I’ve worked at because of the great family atmosphere. This school is very unique because I can build relationships with students beyond just academics; I can really get to know them and help them discover all they can be.”

When not at work, Mrs. Bascom enjoys hiking, watching movies, and spending time with her seven-month-old daughter, who she says takes up most of her time.,

“I absolutely love Cathedral so far,” said Mrs. Bascom. “I am very fortunate to be a part of such a wonderful counseling team at a school where everyone has welcomed me and embraced me as part of the family.”