Annual Thanksgiving Food Drive sets in motion

Cathedral is preparing for the holiday season as the 2011 Thanksgiving Food Drive sets in motion.  For the next two weeks, students will bring in food to donate to over 450 families who are in need of food for their Thanksgiving meals.

Father Kelly, who is both a religion teacher and a guiding religious voice on campus, said that students should donate because, “…it’s important that we recognize that we belong to the Catholic Church, something bigger than ourselves.”

Students may donate one or more of the following: 3 boxes of mashed potatoes, 2 cans of cranberry sauce, 2 cans of pumpkin, 3 boxes of stuffing, 4 boxes of Jello, 2 packages of powdered milk, 2 cans of gravy, 2 cans of yams/sweet potatoes, and 2 $20 grocery store gift cards.  The items will be collected on November 3rd and 9th during Gold 5 classes.

Regarding the food drive, Father Kelly said, “It’s an opportunity for everyone to realize we shouldn’t just be giving.  It’s also a time to give thanks.”

Claire Sommer, ASB Commissioner of Public Relations, encourages students to donate food.  She said, “It is such a simple task, yet it will bring so much joy to the recipients of the food.”

To prepare, ASB set up posters around the hallways and classrooms to advertise the drive.  In addition to the visual reminders, there are constant reminders in the daily bulletin about the food drive.

Claire said ASB works hard to put together a successful drive because they want people to be able to enjoy their meals, the same way many Cathedral students do.

As the Thanksgiving Food Drive collection days draw near, students may remember that they can always bring in more than required to help a family in need.