Counseling Department prepares to host College Fair

As juniors and seniors prepare themselves for the next chapter in their lives, Cathedral Catholic’s Counseling Department is there to help them along the way with the annual College Fair, which will take place in the gym and Green Room on October 20th.

Mrs. Kari Hooker, Office Manager of the Counseling Department said that the fair provides an excellent avenue for learning about schools from across the country in one spot.  This year, the fair will feature over 170 schools, offering the opportunity for students to meet admissions representatives and become exposed to schools they have not previously considered.  The complete list of schools will be posted on Cathedral’s website shortly.

Fair attendees may expect a very packed gym, as over 1,000 students have attended in the past.  Counselor Mr. Dave Silva said that the College Fair continues to grow each year.

Whether they come with a plan or not, students will be able and are encouraged to explore colleges and universities they have not considered before.  Mrs. Hooker said, “Our fair will be a great way to interact with admission representatives from a wide variety of schools.”

Counselor Mr. Lou Centanni  said, “Students can prepare by having a list of questions that apply to their particular situation.”  The counselors highly recommend that students know what they want to ask ahead of time.

Upon arriving at the fair, each student will receive a booklet describing each participating college and a map of where they will be located in the gym and Green Room.  Students will also be given a checklist to help keep track of questions they want to ask school representatives along with a pen and bag to collect materials.  The checklist will include comment and answer sections so that students may review the fair and make note of information they receive from the representatives.

Mrs. Hooker said that students should plan on attending the entire event so that they may fully participate in the experience.  She said this is important so that they have enough time to get to all the schools they want to speak with that night.

The College Fair is a valuable experience for those getting ready to enter the world of college admissions.  As Mr. Silva said, “Many of the college representatives will be the regional representatives who read CCHS student applications for the university.”

Mr. Centanni said, “College admissions representatives and counselors have a lot of information at their fingertips about the schools they represent.”