Class unity experience “grocks” the seniors’ world

Class unity experience grocks the seniors world

At night on Wednesday 18th, over 200 senior students gathered in the Cathedral Catholic wrestling room for one of their last class unity experiences. They had the chance to “grock” one another.

Normally a retreat tradition, Grocking is a way for two people to forgive each other for past issues they might have had and to express their feelings on their friendship over the past four years of high school.

Leaders of the class of 2011, especially campus ministers and ASB members, planned this senior event.

Senior class treasurer Mike Mezzino said, “Grocking is all about community and coming together one last time before we graduate. I really appreciate all the work people have don,e and I look forward to seeing what the juniors come up with for next year to carry on this tradition.”

Many seniors were highly impressed by the event and had no idea what to expect. Ryan O’Connor said the senior grock of 2011 “grocked my world.”

The process of grocking includes two people. One person grabs a friend and brings him or her to the middle of the grocking circle. Quietly, they sit down, and one pours water in their cup and their friend’s cup. Back in the days of Jesus, water was symbolic of being essential to life because of the heat of the desert, and it was treasured. After telling one another what their friendship means  and asking for forgiveness, the two friends toast to the past, future, and present of the friendship –  then they drink the water.

Grocking is not only a time for two people to discuss their problems and the things they value in their friendship, it is also a time to unite as a community in God.

Retreat campus minister Liz Mock said, “Grocking is an amazing opportunity for us, as seniors, to come together spiritually one last time before we graduate. We have gone through so much these past four years, and it is beautiful to see all of us come together for this experience of a lifetime.”