Key Club’s tea party a smashing success

Key Clubs tea party a smashing success

In a service project uncommon from most other Cathedral service clubs, the CCHS Key Club hosted a tea party for residents of The Cloisters of La Jolla on Saturday, April 30th. The club members gave their final day of Easter vacation to the retirement home residents to serve tea and scones as well as provide some lively conversation.

“Ms. Johnson came up with the idea around December,” said Key Club president, senior Kevin Santos, “because she believed Key Club needed an event that made it distinguishable from other service clubs at CCHS.”

Service projects are common among clubs at Cathedral; however, most center around helping the homeless and the poor. Kevin said, “The elderly seemed like a group that needed some attention. [Ms. Johnson] decided that the Cloisters retirement home was a perfect venue when she volunteered there for the faculty service day.

Early in the afternoon on April 30th, club members arrived at the Cloisters to set up for the day. The event lasted for only an hour, but it was a resounding success. Speaking on the achievement of her students, Key Club Moderator Ms. Carolyn Johnson said, “My fleet of Key Club juniors and seniors took the Cloisters by storm with their generous gift of time on the last day of their vacation, motivated by their kindness and buoyant spirits.”

Ms. Johnson continued, “Their self presentation was amazing – smiles were blooming all over the room among the elders as they were greeted by their table hostesses in spring dresses, and served by guys who looked so sharp in their formal attire.”

While the residents enjoyed their party and the time donated by the Cathedral students, Ms. Johnson believes that her students enjoyed the event just as much as their guests.  She said,“I know my students took as much joy from the Cloisters elders as they gave.”

The event was certainly unique; a Cathedral club holding an event such as this at a retirement home is unquestionably rare. When asked if the Key clun had any plans to do another event similar to the tea party, Kevin Santos said, “As of right now, no, but maybe next year.”