Drama students prepare for spring musical (slideshow)

As Cathedral Catholic’s drama students memorize lines, build sets, and practice dance routines for the spring production of Hairspray, Mrs. Wilson reflects on why she decided to bring the popular musical to the CCHS community.

Almost one decade ago, drama teacher Ms. Katie Wilson was fourth in line to star as Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray’s first national tour. Ms.Wilson said, “One thing I remembered out of that process was that the creators couldn’t wait until the show could be done in high schools –  here we are, ten years later, and this is the first round of high schools doing the show.”

As this is the first year that the popular musical can legally be performed in a high school, Mrs. Wilson leapt at the opportunity to bring Hairspray to the CCHS community. After about 250 auditions in December, the cast of around 90 started rehearsing just two weeks ago, performing “sing-throughs” of the musical and designing sets.

The story of Hairspray is set in segregated Baltimore, Maryland in 1962. Teenager Tracy Turnblad, played by senior Maria Thompson, receives the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to star as a dancer on her favorite television program, The Corny Collins Show, starring senior Chris Adams as Corny. Though Tracy’s parents Edna and Wilbur, portrayed by senior Colin Arnold and junior Matt Thompson, and neighbor Prudy Pingleton disapprove of Tracy’s appearance on the show at first, before their minds open to new ideas.

Tracy faces adversity when the director of the show’s television network, Mrs. Velma Von Tussle, played by senior Kimberlee Holland, and her daughter Amber, portrayed by junior Briana Heller, reject Tracy because of her size and views against segregation.  While the malicious duo attempt to sabotage Tracy’s career, Amber’s boyfriend and heartthrob of The Corny Collins Show, Link Larkin, played by senior Michael Mahady, empathizes with Tracy and ends up falling in love with her.

With the help of bubbly best friend Penny, portrayed by senior Taylor De Ganna, and hip new friends Seaweed, played by senior Grant Collins, Little Inez, performed by senior Kaycey Bui, and Motormouth Maybelle, played by junior Audri Laster, Tracy overcomes racism and predjudice, and redefines the 1960 society’s standards of beauty.

“It’s a story of acceptance. It’s a story of loving for who they are, and where they’re at, no matter what they look like, no matter what race they are, no matter what size they are,” said Mrs. Wilson.

According to Mrs. Wilson, the musical portrays the struggles of the Civil Rights Movement, but also provides a historical record of the music at the time.

“The writers were really emulating pop shows and pop songs of the sixties. Each of the songs had an inspiration of a real song,” she said.

For example, the number “You Can’t Stop the Beat,” is based on the classic “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough. The score of the musical is diverse, ranging from Motown to Gospel, requiring Ms. Wlison to hire up to three keyboardists.

After two months of preparation, Hairspray opens on March 25th, and runs through April 2nd.  Ms. Wilson says she only wants to accomplish two things: to entertain and inspire.

Ms. Wilson said, “Hairspray makes a statement:  each one of us is unique and beautiful, with gifts that we are called to share with the world.  I want our young people to know they have a voice, and that that voice can be heard.”