ASB picks mascot as Don of the Month

ASB picks mascot as Don of the Month

The stadium is packed with people but the Dons are down a couple of points. The cheerleaders are tired, and the crowd is unenthusiastic. There is one person left to bring school spirit back to life. That would be the Dons mascot, Allen Chae, who was recently chosen to be Cathedral’s monthly Face of the Don.

Allen, a senior, was picked to be November’s Face of the Don because he “rallies up our crowd, supports the football team, and helps the cheerleaders.” He said he enjoys being the mascot because he gets to be a “spaz” and “fall intentionally” and he loves being in front of a crowd. Allen is on the wrestling team, and he can be found in the school weight room, at home, or with friends.

He became the mascot after being asked by ASB.  Though it was a spur of the moment decision, he is glad he made it. His little brother, Justin Chae, is nine years old and didn’t know his big brother was the mascot until the first game. Justin was surprised and excited.

Allen explained that before every game and every morning, he bikes a mile to school. He said that it gets his blood pumping.

Allen was nervous the first time he put on the gigantic mascot head.  He said, “As soon as I put on the head, I start to itch and sweat.” However, though he has to look out of the mouth of the mascot to see, he powered through and faced the crowd, looking at everyone’s faces the best he could.

To pump up the spirits of the crowd, Allen said, he claps his hands in a way that he learned from T.V. He added that to the repertoire of bits he’s fitted together to embody his idea of the “Don.

“A Don, to me, is a fighter. He is a good representation of this school because when it’s time to have fun, he can, and when it’s time to learn, he’s ready,” Allen said.

“We can improve school spirit by following all the rules and the academic code of conduct and learning when we are supposed to and then have fun like at lunch, break, and after school. Overall, the best way we can improve school spirit is by becoming more of a community and dressing up for spirit days.” Allen said

Allen doesn’t know how many games he will attend but he knows that if he is ever needed, he will be there to pump up the spirits.  He said he will be especially pumped at the Cathedral vs. Saints Holy Bowl game this Friday at Mesa College.

View Comments (1)

• D

Danielle MillerNov 10, 2010 at 9:10 PM

“A Don, to me, is a fighter. He is a good representation of this school because when it’s time to have fun, he can, and when it’s time to learn, he’s ready,”
    I really like that quote.

Reply
ASB picks mascot as Don of the Month