El Cid talks with Principal Deely about changes for 2010-11

Merry+Christmas%21
Merry Christmas!

Precious summertime is soon to end!  Surely by now, some Dons might be wondering what will be new or changed in the upcoming year.

From the aspect of policies and rules, there will not be many changes. Principally, Lady Dons will not have to worry about skirt changes because skirts will remain as part of the school uniform.

Although most major CCHS policies will remain unchanged, students will be updated on any minor changes next year. The administration is striving for consistency.

Principal Mike Deely said, “Since the first year of CCHS, we always have had changes. Yet, this year many things have settled down, and I think it is time to bring some consistency for both the students and for the school.”

However, there will be schedule changes to Cathedral’s school year calendar. As some students may have already heard, the 2010 summer vacation will end on August 23rd,  one week earlier than usual.  The 2010-2011 school year will then end during the first week of June, which is one week earlier than usual. Graduation will take place on May 25, 2011.

This new school year will contain about the same number of half-days. The senior picnic will be moved from fall to March 25, 2011. The senior overnighter will be held the third Saturday of September, a week earlier than usual. Prom will be held after AP exams are completed, and there will be more class meetings to reflect students’ ideas more effectively than this year.

In addition, the calendar will reflect the inclusion of school-wide service days during January, March, and April. First semester final exams will take place before Christmas.

These calendar changes are occurring because CCHS is trying to follow the college system since this is a college prep school.

“The first semester at most colleges ends before Christmas. Since CCHS is a college prep school, this is a chance for students to experience the college system beforehand,” said Ms. Elizabeth Tysor, ASB moderator.

Other good news is the return of the band class and the Spanish IV class. Mr. Foley is going to teach the band class, while the Spanish IV teacher has not yet been named.

If students are interested in registering in either of these new classes next year, they should talk to their respective counselors about a week before the school year starts, when the schedule is finally set.

Students should be aware of these upcoming changes so they can adjust to next year quickly. Have a great summer vacation, and see you next year, Dons!

View Comments (1)

• P

Paul NguyenAug 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM

I think Mr. Deely and the administration are taking huge strides towards improving CCHS. I wish the school continued success and a steady flow of inspired students.

Reply