Promoting student action

Dillon Tarle, Arts and Entertainment Editor

An excursion meant to promote justice and Catholic values, the Cathedral Catholic High School Ignatian Family Teach in Trip to Washington, D.C., departs tomorrow and will continue into the weekend. 

Acting as a means for social advocacy, the Ignatian Solidarity Network, which is run by the Jesuits, aims to address social issues in the United States with the conference. Participating students can take part in various activities, including listening to guest speakers, conversing with groups of other students, and meeting with the California senators. 

“It’s a conference about justice, living out the Catholic social teachings of human dignity, and preferential option for the poor,” Assistant Dean of Mission and Ministry Mr. Nicholas Hurt said. “Specifically at the conference this year, the main themes are immigration and ending racism. Students will make a pitch to the office of the senator, most likely on immigration, and have a discussion with them.”

A primary theme of the conference, student advocacy, will encourage students to take action when confronted with an issue. Along with listening to speakers discuss pressing issues, students can also become participants in the conversations surrounding topics. 

“I hope the students realize that they can do something about justice,” Mr. Hurt said. “If they feel like they see an injustice, they don’t have to sit there and wait to do something, they can do something now.”