America’s finest team

Shea Linnehan, Sports Editor

The Cathedral Catholic High School boys varsity water polo team competed in the America’s Finest City Tournament this weekend, an event in which it remained undefeated and claimed a first place finish for the team’s second straight season. 

The Dons defeated Connecticut’s Greenwich High School 13-10 in the finals, proving when CCHS plays its best, it can play with any team.

“We are starting to gel at the right time,” CCHS student and varsity water polo team member Matt Stone ‘20 said. “We were able to show the opposing teams that San Diego talent is a major force.”

CCHS’ consistent play in each game allowed for a successful tournament.

“We put forth maximum effort and played our best on defense and offense,” Stone said. “We went undefeated in the tournament, and a big reason is because we played our best in every game.”

Throughout the tournament, the Dons also defeated county threats Vista High School and Carlsbad High School, victories that gave the team extra confidence. 

“Winning the AFC is one step closer to our goal because we were able to beat two top teams in the San Diego section,” Stone said.

The team intends to use the tournament win as momentum to win the San Diego Section California Interscholastic Federation Open Division Championship for the second straight year. 

“We plan on taking the victory and to continue rolling,” Stone said. “Our main goal of the season is to repeat as CIF Open Division Champions, but we will take it one game and tournament at a time.”