Post-Show Reflection: “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown”

The cast of Youre a Good Man, Charlie Brown.

The cast of “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.”

Julia Wolf, Staff Writer

The comedy musical You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown features an average day in the life of Charlie Brown. Charlie goes through relatable struggles with the rest of his friends from the peanut gang, and eventually finds happiness. For two evenings and two afternoons, this show was performed and set up by talented members of the Cathedral Drama Department. When enthusiastic audiences greeted the show’s director, Ms. Katie Wilson, after the play, her wide smile made it evident that she was happy with its success.

The house management crew, a department of Drama Tech, also seemed happy with the show’s success. The house management crew was in charge of things like selling food and drinks for audience members, selling treats for the audience to give to the actors backstage, and helping late audience members to their seats. Mathew Nguyen of house management was thankful for all of the revenue that was acquired. During opening night, there were certain “mishaps” with the food and drinks. “We overcooked popcorn, and hot chocolate was not to the standard I hoped it would be, but we resolved those issues either that night or the next day.”

Deena Haddad, a sophomore attending Cathedral Catholic, thought the show was “fantastic.” She knew all of the characters in Charlie Brown before watching the play, so the school’s performance was particularly enjoyable. “The show just made me really happy,” she said. She was particularly impressed with a budding sophomore actor by the name of Shane Tuller. “When I saw Shane, I didn’t even see Shane. I saw Linus.”

Natalie Hines, the sophomore who portrayed Sally, has been performing in plays since she was in the first grade. This is her third show with Cathedral. She says that she “loves bonding with all the people who work so hard to put the play together,” and her favorite part is the energy that she feels on opening night. In order to get into character, she “looked at their cartoons a lot,” and she found inspiration through people who had played her role in the past. Natalie was happy with how the show went.

Sophomore Helena Holleran was also happy with the production. She admitted to “not expecting much” out of this high school performance, and was overwhelmed by how much talent there is at Cathedral Catholic. “Oh my gosh, everybody was so good! It was such a good show!” She said that her favorite part was when Snoopy had more valentine grams than Charlie Brown.

Ultimately, the pleased smiles of the cast, the gushing enthusiasm of the audiences, and the positive sentiment generally shared by all ensured the general success of You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.