Art Club celebrates Native American Heritage Month

Diana Maldonado, Staff Writer

The month of November is well known for the popular event ‘No-Shave November.’ Men are growing out their beards, and boys are attempting to grow some semblance of a mustache. While males are concerned with this, the Art Club at CCHS is focusing on something different.

“People don’t know this, but November is Native American Heritage Month,” said senior Diana Ramos, Vice President of the Art Club. As a result, the Art Club has decided to draw a picture of a Native American girl (originally painted by Karen Noles) in the quad over by the lunch tables in the hope of bringing awareness to this culture.

Art Club put a lot of thought into choosing the picture they wanted to draw. “We want the art to depict something that celebrates the culture and brings awareness,” said Diana. In order to successfully achieve this, the Art Club has been planning this drawing since the end of October. “First, we had to choose a picture, and then we planned,” said senior Denise Hickethier a two-year member of the Art Club. After they chose the picture, the club found a place to draw, then measured, outlined, drew a grid, assigned sections, and began drawing.

This isn’t the club’s first year drawing something around campus. Last year, they completed four drawings to represent the Saints on our buildings: Saint Katherine Drexel, Saint Francis of Assisi, Saint Francis De Sales, and Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini. However, this is the first year that art club is creating a drawing of something other than a saint.

After November is over, the Art Club hopes to begin a new tradition of drawing a picture every month starting in January. “Every month we want to draw something and have the art depict something meaningful happening in that month,” said Denise. “Maybe in January we can do something related to the Chinese New Year.”