Mr. Kevin Hare becomes new CCTV moderator

Joseph Park, Staff Writer

With the inclusion of the many new teachers at Cathedral Catholic High School also came Mr. Kevin Hare, who has already caused quite a stir. Having previously taught at Gonzaga College High School in Washington D.C. for eight years, Mr. Hare is now starting his thirteenth year of teaching and is in charge of three different classes that are available to Cathedral students: AP Computer Science, CCTV, and Film Making.

Classes so far, in Mr. Hare’s opinion, are “progressing very well.” He noted that the students want to learn, and they put all of their effort into the given work. Used to teaching forty-minute classes at Gonzaga, Mr. Hare finds a lot more liberty with the extended class time here at Cathedral, especially with his AP Computer Science classes. “With the longer block periods, we can do the actual computer work in class,” he said.

Besides AP Computer Science at Gonzaga, Mr. Hare also taught Web Design and WZAG, a TV Communications course that broadcasted news everyday to the school. The class/club functioned as a daily live news broadcast with a short 3-4 minute feature during the first period of the day. As its instructor, Mr. Hare taught the class of juniors and seniors how to utilize professional editing techniques, interview their subjects, air editorials, and anchor a news program.

Using his experience at Gonzaga, Mr. Hare wants to help the students in CCTV “inform the student body with important news and also entertain.” He added that he hopes the “professional weekly broadcast will grow into a daily, live news broadcast” in the future.

So far, things have been sailing smoothly at CCTV as the students adjust to changes. Besides having their individual roles assigned, the students also need to adapt to Adobe Premier as the new main editing software. “I’m moving CCTV to focus more on the production side,” said Mr. Hare, “trying to make it much more like real news, much more detail on the computer and not so much of the acting.” He added that he plans to have the students “try to find the stories and report news that the students want to know.”

Mr. Hare, who grew up in Atlanta, Georgia and was raised a Roman Catholic, attended Catholic high school, college and university. After finishing his high school education at St. Pius X in Atlanta, Mr. Hare attended The Catholic University of America in Washington D.C., where he majored in Computer Science. He went on to further his education at Providence College for a degree in secondary education. As a part of his grad school program, he first taught math at Cathedral High School in Springfield, Massachusetts. Of his college and grad school experience, Mr. Hare said, “I liked that both schools had a very Catholic feel to them.”

After completing his education, Mr. Hare searched for possible schools he could start his teaching career. After searching around Atlanta, D.C., and San Diego he ended up finding Gonzaga College High School, a Jesuit all-boys school. According to Mr. Hare, Gonzaga “just felt like the right fit.”

After school hours, Mr. Hare runs a CrossFit gym in Sorrento Valley, taking over the afternoon and evening classes while his partner handles the morning sessions. On the east coast, he was involved in CrossFit since 2008. He coached at CrossFit OldTown in Alexandria, VA for three years alongside a non-profit high school CrossFit affiliate at Gonzaga called CrossFit Gonzaga for four years. Afterwards, Mr. Hare came to San Diego, with the intention of opening CrossFit OTW, in August 2013 by driving cross country last summer.

“I’m looking forward to learning about all of the CCHS traditions and being a part of this great community,” he said.