Ms. Egan becomes new Library Technical Assistant

With all the foot traffic the library has each day, most students have probably noticed that there is a brand new addition to the library: Ms. Caitlin Egan. She recently began to work in the library and she has notably added a sense of warmth to the building.

Ms. Caitlin Egan was born in San Jose. She and her family moved to San Diego when she was nine years old. She then went back to the Bay Area for college and graduated from San Francisco State University (SFSU) in 2012. At SFSU she majored in literature, so it seems fitting that she’s around books all day. She decided to come back to San Diego after graduating from college.

Before Ms. Egan attended SFSU, she attended Uni. She was actually the last freshmen class to  start at Uni before the location was moved to Del Mar to become CCHS. While attending Cathedral, Ms. Egan was on El Cid. She even had the same adviser that is in charge of El Cid today, Mr. Michael Fares. Ms. Egan graduated from Cathedral in 2008.

Everyone who has seen Ms. Egan identifies her as the new librarian or Director of Instruction Mrs. Anne Egan’s daughter, but her actual job title is Library Technical Assistant. But, being a Library Technical Assistant isn’t Ms. Caitlin Egan’s dream job. She wants to follow in her mother’s footsteps and get into the education system. Ms. Egan decided the first step to doing this was to take this job at our school.

Before she got the title of Library Technical Assistant, Ms. Egan worked as a tour guide at the Safari Park from October 2012 to July 2013. “In school, Biology wasn’t my forte, but it was easy to learn things there,” she said.

Ms. Egan is fairly new here, but she already hopes to return to CCHS next year. She has it all planned out already. If Ms. Egan returns next year as the Library Technical Assistant, she will be working during the day at school, and at night she will take classes at Cal State San Marcos. She is hoping to achieve her masters in writing and literature.

With this masters, Ms. Egan will be able to teach at the community college level, which means she will be able to teach any grade in high school. Even though she will be able to teach at any level, Ms. Egan wants to teach American Literature to juniors or seniors. She doesn’t have anything against the lower grades, but she wants to teach older students because she said they seem more interested.

Ms. Egan interacts and observes a large variety of students at our school everyday. This petite red haired woman with soft blue-green eyes has nothing but nice things to say about the students here. “For the most part, you’re all good students.” Maybe not all of us, but we’ll take “for the most part.”