Class of 2014 tries to hold on to childhood (Slideshow)

A coed sleepover is the last thing people would expect from a Catholic high school; however, the senior overnighter this past Saturday night in the Guadalupe Center was nothing more than quality bonding time for the stereotypical, split senior class.

Approximately 300 seniors attended the slumber party of the year, and left CCHS at 6 o’clock a.m. Sunday morning, appearing exhausted yet excited for the next 8 months of senior class fun.

The theme was 90’s flashback. Covering the brick walls of the auditorium, were posters of some of the senior class’ favorite childhood memories. If one were to look around he would see posters for, Lizzie McGuire, Bop It, Silly Puddy, Dance Dance Revolution, Hey Arnold, and Barbie. The throwback theme was meant to show how, even though stereotypes and cliques might separate the senior class today, they all still have one thing in common: they are trying to hold on to their childhood in some way or another.

From 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. nothing but kid fun occurred. After the seniors celebrated Mass together they headed back into the theater for 3 hours of DJ’d music. Ms. Katie Wilson and senior football stars, Kyle Davis and Xavier Ulutu, made sure that there was a new choreographed dance for each new song, usually including a good majority of the class on the dance floor. With one final Backstreet Boy song at midnight, the dance party ended.

Besides dancing, Ms. Melissa Padgett, Mr. Joe Filippone, and the senior ASB students, provided the senior class with many more fun activities, including, ping pong, Rock-band, and movies. They started off the movie marathon with The Sandlot and then Hook. When Hook ended the entire class burst out in applause because finally the loud disturbance would be turned off so they could sleep.

Sleeping bags and pillows were spread out over the entire theater floor, leaving no room for walking. If someone had a problem with someone else’s feet all over their pillow then they would not have enjoy this event very much.

In addition to the unorganized sleeping set up, food covered all the beds. Half the seniors ended up sleeping on crumbled chips or smashed muffins. And, if that wasn’t  enough, some had chocolate covered raisins thrown at them in the night.

Just like any party, the overnighter had its drama. There were the couples who had to be separated by the pink air mattress Ms. Padgett would wedge between them, the kids who ate too much and got sick, and the ones, like John Heintschel, who did a somersault and knocked over a Dr. Pepper onto a sleeping Peter Dohoney.

By 2 a.m. some kids had crashed while others were still enjoying each other’s company, including Ashley Lynch who said, ” I am feeling tired but still having fun”.

The motto for the night was FOMO: the fear of missing out. The entire class was tired but did not want to sleep for fear that they would miss out on something funny or exciting that happened at 3 a.m. Even the teachers were up all night. Ms. Wilson and Ms. Jenny Parker sat at the front of the room having a heart to heart, while Ms. Katie Linn lay on her air mattress on the stage. New teacher, Mr. Eric Duarte even made through it the whole night, along with Ms. Margret Mauro, Mr. Mike Wallace, Mr. Manuel Terzoli, and the senior class moderators, Ms. Padgett, and Mr. Filippone.

The event ended Sunday morning at 6 a.m. after the entire senior class worked together to clean the theater. After the room was to Ms. Padgett’s specifications, they walked out to their parents’ cars in the dark, cool morning exhausted and ready to spend the rest of their Sunday sleeping.