Counselors share summer job opportunities

For some, summer means fun days at the fair, nighttime bonfires on the beach, and two months free from the pressures of school.  For others, it means gaining valuable work experience and making some extra money.

Because Cathedral has established such a positive reputation throughout San Diego, many local companies contact the counseling office with jobs and internships for high school students.  Internships at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center and jobs at both Legoland and the San Diego County Fair are among the most popular choices among Cathedral students.

This year, the Fleet Center has many openings for summer camp counselors.  The applicants can choose between nine five-day weeks, morning and afternoon shifts, and five age groups ranging from pre-kindergarten to eighth grade.  The different options help the job adapt to the volunteers’ likes and needs.

Camp counselors at the Fleet Center also receive special perks, such as free admission to the galleries and discounts.  According to the Center’s website page for volunteers, they “provide training and support for all of our volunteers and interns to ensure a rewarding and successful experience.”

Monica Snow, a sophomore at CCHS, is among a large group of students applying for an internship or volunteer job at the Fleet Center.  She said, “I enjoy science.  I remember going to the science center when I was a kid, and I wanted to give children that same experience.”

Jobs at Legoland are also a favorite of Cathedral students.  The popular amusement park has multiple summer jobs for ushers, attractions associates, and retail associates.  According to Ms. Kari Hooker, counseling secretary, Legoland always contacts Cathedral with seasonal job opportunities “because they really like our students.”

Finally, the San Diego County Fair gains a lot of student interest.  The fair, which runs from June 8th until July 4th, provides fun jobs with pretty good pay.  Ms. Hooker said the competition for jobs is tough, because “a lot of people want to work at the fair.”

In an advertisement for summer jobs, one booth at the SD Fair, Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlour, said, “This is a great opportunity to earn cash for the summer and have a fantastic time!”

For other job and internship opportunities, both over the summer and during the school year and winter holidays, students can visit the counseling office.  Ms. Hooker keeps a little carousel stocked with flyers regarding jobs and internships by the front door, so students are always welcome to come in and look around.