A Night at Gatsby’s leaves Marika ‘touched, humbled’

A Night at Gatsby’s leaves Marika touched, humbled

Though abundances of post-dance photos could be seen clogging up the Facebook feeds on February 10, the night after the Cathedral Catholic Winter Formal, one stood out among the masses.

“You have such a beautiful heart,” penned senior Tehya Foussat. “You are beautiful on the inside and out, and you’re such an inspiration,” wrote sophomore Darcy Van Deventer. These were just a few of the multitude of comments found on sophomore Marika Vigo’s latest Facebook profile picture, a shot of her with her formal date, Jeffrey.

This is because Marika, who plays lacrosse and serves as the sophomore ASB secretary, decided to do something out of the ordinary for her formal experience. “My date’s name was Jeffrey, and he has cerebral palsy,” she said.

Marika met Jeffrey at the Miracle League of San Diego, a baseball league for children with special needs, where she volunteers as an umpire. “I met Jeffrey on my first day and was taken aback by how genuine and happy he was. I decided that it would be fun if I asked him to my formal dance, so I did!”

Marika says that she is passionate about volunteering, and enjoys devoting her time to bettering the lives of others in need. She credits her mother as the inspiration for her work. “When my mom was my age, she volunteered to teach CCD to children with developmental disabilities at her church,” Marika said. “My mother and I share the same passion for this type of God’s work. “

“I think many people overlook those with special needs,” said Marika. “However, there are quite a few local organizations that help us get involved and give us a chance to make new friends.

The Miracle League of San Diego, where Marika helps out, encourages people to volunteer by signing up online. Similarly, many charitable organizations around San Diego need volunteers to make their efforts possible, such as the TERI Equestrian Institute for Autism, which supports horseback riding for children with developmental disabilities.

“I believe that it is important to prevent marginalizing those with special needs,” said Marika.

Marika’s actions at formal were met with wide enthusiasm from her fellow classmates and peers. “She has such a big heart, and it was really amazing to see her do such a nice thing for Jeffrey,” said sophomore Kaileigh Valentine.

Sophomore Ana Paula Ramirez said, “I think that what Marika did was really inspirational, and serves as a great example for everyone to strive and make a difference in the lives of others.”

Marika says that she was overwhelmed by all the support she received. “I’ve never experienced anything like I did at formal. The entire faculty and student body at the dance were so helpful and supportive. I had many people come up and introduce themselves to Jeffrey, treating him like just another teen, which he is.”

Jeffrey graduated from Rancho Bernardo high school this past June. On formal night, though, he shared with Marika that Cathedral’s ‘A Night at Gatsby’s’ event was the first high school dance he had ever been to.

“Throughout the night, he kept on saying, ‘This is awesome! I feel like I’m in a movie!’” said Marika. “Seeing his excitement truly touched me.”

“After spending some time with Jeffrey and other children in his shoes, I am completely humbled,” Marika said. “They help and teach me more than I can ever help them.”

View Comments (1)
Nicole Lobo, Editor-in-Chief
My name is Nicole-Ann Lobo, and I am the Editor-in-Chief of El Cid! I am very excited to continue my fourth year of journalism, and I hope to help make this paper the best in all of San Diego. My favorite things include classic rock, politics, literature, and the New York Times. I'm co-captain of both the Mock Trial and Speech & Debate teams, play badminton, and serve as an Executive Ambassador. My many passions in life include playing the piano, cooking, and traveling the world. I hope to double-major in political science and international relations before attending law school, and aspire to spend a year abroad in Europe. I can't wait for all that this year has to offer!

• A

Atticus McCoyFeb 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Beautifully written story Nicole! So touching!

Reply