Senior Matt Thompson creates new movie, “Night Sights”

Senior Matt Thompson creates new movie, Night Sights

Cathedral senior Matt Thompson has done it again. With help, Matt has created his new movie, “Night Sights.” The film premiered at La Paloma Theater on December 31 for a single showing.

Night Sights is about a father who loses his son and, during his grieving period, discovers a network of people who collect souls of the deceased and prepare them for their journey out of Purgatory.

Matt’s inspiration for the movie came from personal experience.

“My dad died when I was ten,” he said. The movie explores, “what it’s like not to have a father figure.” Matt reversed the plot to tell the story of a father who loses a son. He also added some elements of science-fiction.

“I always say write about what you know,” said Matt.

The process of making the movie included matters such as financing the movie and casting actors. Matt worked through the company Kickstarter to help with the finance of the movie. Kickstarter is a company that funds all types of creative projects for filmmakers, writers, musicians and other types of artists. Through Kickstarter, Matt raised around $3,500 for the production of the film. To cast the production, Matt worked with casting networks such as Backstage West and L.A. Casting.

Mr. Ryan Andrzejewski, Advanced Video Production, CCTV Broadcasting, Multimedia, and Video Production teacher, produced the film. He believed it was great success. “It turned out very professional,” he said.

He also enjoyed working with Matt and said he would “definitely work with Matt again.”

Over the summer, there was an advance filmmaking class at Cathedral. Students took it to get a grade and to help Matt with the film. “I love working with students who are passionate about the project, and it’s really difficult to work with those who aren’t passionate…I don’t know if the class would work again because not enough students are interested,” said Mr. Andrzejewski.

Matt is constantly thinking up ideas for new projects. “I’m always writing,” he said.

Matt also believes that the film turned out to be a great success. He said, “I’m most proud of the fact that it turned out the way I envisioned it.”