Tolerance Club – where students can be themselves

Tolerance Club - where students can be themselves

The room is filled with exuberant laughter, playful banter, and an uplifting spirit. The vibe is unmistakable, one of cheerfulness and love, one where all are welcome.

This utopia is the Tolerance Club- a place where anyone and everyone can join and be accepted.

“I felt as if there was no social acceptance club on campus that embraced everyone. That’s why I helped found the Tolerance Club,” said Jacqueline Barsamian, one of the club’s leaders.

“Tolerance by definition is potentially negative since it implies that we ‘put up’ with each other, but the goal of our club is to let people know that they have friends who love and care for them. We’re trying the create a place where people can be themselves and know that they are perfect and wonderful the way God made them, regardless of religion, race, background, or anything else,” said Ms. Katie Wilson, the club’s moderator.

An average Tolerance Club meeting is an assemblage of people chatting, eating, and making new friends. The club might hold discussions as well- currently, they are planning a public service announcement against bullying.

According to Ms. Wilson, many club members feel that bullying is a scourge on our campus that must be stopped. “Bullying is an ever-present problem that can really scar someone; now, we even have websites such as Facebook and Twitter which make the problem permanent. The Tolerance Club has started a long-term campaign which will hopefully lessen these incidents both on and off the school campus,” she said.

Bullying has proved to be a major problem- last year in San Diego alone, over 800 kids were victims.  According to the New York Times, 1 in 5 children have been victims of bullying, and over 88% of teens have witnessed people being cruel on social networking sites. The Tolerance Club has an ultimate goal of eliminating bullying at CCHS, spreading our school’s mission to build people of character who advocate the Christian way.

Cathedral is not the only high school in Southern California to have a social acceptance club, though ours is of a different nature than many other schools. Other high schools have clubs dedicated to accepting all sexual orientations, such as The Bishop School’s ‘BAGLS Club’ (Bishops Alliance for Gays-Lesbians-Straights), and Notre Dame’s ‘Club SNDwich’, a diversity awareness club that “shows no discrimination”. In comparison, the CCHS Tolerance Club is just a place for everyone to come and be accepted.

“I believe in a world with a message of love where everyone is accepted for who they are. The Tolerance Club is just a place where we can share this message with each other, and help spread it all over campus,” said Brad Stiehl, the other Tolerance Club leader. Brad said that the club also has future plans to visit the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles.

Chase Hauser, a Tolerance Club member, said, “My favorite part of the club is that it’s basically just a bunch of great people from the CCHS student body getting together, caring for each other, and really listening.”

The Tolerance Club meets every Thursday during lunch in the drama room.

Ms. Wilson also says that she enjoys seeing the interactions made between people in the club. “It’s great watching our fifty or so members just gathering and talking; I love seeing the new friendships being formed between people who are kind and peacemakers. I’m enamored by the ideas of those who want peace in the world, and it’s awesome to see their thoughts expressed during meetings.”

View Comments (2)
Nicole Lobo
Nicole Lobo, Editor-in-Chief
My name is Nicole-Ann Lobo, and I am the Editor-in-Chief of El Cid! I am very excited to continue my fourth year of journalism, and I hope to help make this paper the best in all of San Diego. My favorite things include classic rock, politics, literature, and the New York Times. I'm co-captain of both the Mock Trial and Speech & Debate teams, play badminton, and serve as an Executive Ambassador. My many passions in life include playing the piano, cooking, and traveling the world. I hope to double-major in political science and international relations before attending law school, and aspire to spend a year abroad in Europe. I can't wait for all that this year has to offer!

• L

Larry WilsonFeb 26, 2019 at 5:58 AM

Hello El Cid people. I am Larry Wilson, a citizen of the US, but now living in the United Arab Emirates. We want to establish a network of Tolerance Clubs in the UAE and, in searching for others with the same interests, I came across the El Cid club.

Since we are beginners at this Tolerance Club activity, I/we are very interested in how you see the mission and activities of your Club and whether you have any contacts with other Tolerance Clubs in the US or elsewhere.

In case you are not aware, the government of the UAE has established a full Ministry of Tolerance, the first one in the world and the government has designated 2019 the “Year of Tolerance” in the UAE. And, given that you are a Catholic school, our country hosted the historic visit of His Holiness Pope Francis earlier this month.

We are looking forward to hearing and learning from you.

Thanks for any assistance or guidance you can give us.

With warm regards,
    Larry Wilson

Reply
  • V

VLJan 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM

This article was amazing! It was well put together and made an interesting read!

Reply