New Bowling Club bowls with pumpkins at lunch

Whether bowling pumpkins or regular bowling balls, the members of Cathedral Catholic’s Bowling Club always have a great time.  On Wednesday November 9th, the club invited students to bowl pumpkins with them on the grassy knoll at lunch.

Senior Patrick Fitzgerald was awarded the recognition as the best pumpkin bowler of the group.

One of the club leaders, senior Ian Dillingham, said, “It was so much fun.  I was quite impressed by the talent.”

A newly-founded club this year, the Bowling Club meets every other Red 1 day at lunch in Mrs. Debbie Bricker’s room in downstairs Drexel Hall.

Mrs. Bricker said, “We just want to get people who like to bowl together.  It’s a great sport because anyone can do it.  People of any skill level can come bowl.  In our announcements for the daily bulletin, we are sure to say that no skill is required.”

A typical meeting consists of planning upcoming events, working on a club shirt design, and setting dates for more bowling activities.

Members of the club try to bowl every other Friday from 3 to 5 p.m. at the Mira Mesa bowling alley, where they can play for just $1 per round.

Mrs. Bricker said, “There are about eight to ten frequenters for the club, but occasionally we get more people.  It just depends on the day.”

Senior Billy Slane holds the highest individual score of the bowling club students: a 128.  Ian holds the highest overall total score from the accumulation of all the results from the different days.

Mrs. Bricker is proud to say that she has a higher individual score than all the club members.

“I hadn’t bowled in three or four years, and I walked up to the lane telling them all that this would be ugly,” she said.  “But, I bowled a 170.  It was wild.  They all told me to go home.”

The club members are currently in the process of trying to start friendly competitions with other schools.  But a more important goal of the club is to raise enough money at this year’s spring carnival to treat some people from Father Joe’s Village to a few rounds of bowling.

Ian said, “We don’t usually prefer to bowl pumpkins.  That was just for Halloween.”