Head of Security Mr. Balelio explains lunchtime rules

Many returning Cathedral students know the permanent rule about not being in any academic buildings during lunch, but this could be news for new students and freshmen.

Years ago, the Cathedral Catholic administration introduced a new rule: No students are allowed to be in any academic building before the 10-minute bell at lunch. This meant no last minute studying in the hallways, no grabbing books, and no spontaneous hallway races.

Head of Security Mr. Leighton Balelio, who has been working at Cathedral and Uni. for 17 years, said that the purpose of the rule is to keep the noise level in the hallways down so that the teachers and any students taking tests can have as much silence as a regular class period. Also, any student in the buildings during lunch is without supervision.

Though theft may seem like a reason for the rule to be enforced, according to Mr. Balelio, theft is actually not an issue during lunch. He says that there has been more theft occurring in the morning and after school than during lunch.

Mr. Balelio said,  “Lunch could have been a target time for theft, but there is no way to tell now.”  But even so, having the buildings locked during lunch is an extra way to prevent any opportunity for theft.”

Mr. Balelio said that this rule is generally being followed well by students without any issues, but according to some students, the rule is more of an annoyance than a necessity.

Annie Diaz, sophomore, noted that the rule makes it harder to finish homework or study for tests during lunch. “I really appreciate the work that the security guards do for our school, but sometimes I am frustrated by the rules,” she said.  She now checks ahead of time if she needs to finish homework during lunch so that she can get books at the allotted time.

Kennedy Cox and Katie Wraith, both freshmen, were unfamiliar with the rule at first but expressed the same feelings as Annie. It seems to be a hassle for most people but Kennedy said that she has found a way around it.

“I guess you could just stay in the bathroom and then come out and get your stuff before someone sees you,” she said. However, there is a security guard walking the halls during lunch to make sure that everyone understands the rule.

Even though it may be an considered an annoyance by some students, Mr. Balelio insisted that it’s a necessary rule. And with 17 years of school security under his belt, he would know.

“Besides,” he said, “it’s better to be outside during lunch anyways.”