Left-handed freshman shines on JV baseball team

“He’s good.”  That’s  what this El Cid reporter repeatedly heard about CCHS’s new baseball-playing freshman Brady Aiken.  As the new pitcher and outfielder for the junior varsity baseball team, talk of Brady has been circulating through dugouts and school hallways alike.

Last year, Brady was a member of the 2010 14U team. This team was made up of 18 of the nation’s best 8th grade baseball players. The team traveled to Managua and Nicaragua to compete against other national teams.

Brady said that he, like most baseball players, has been playing since he was a little boy. However, his raw talent has set him apart from the rest. One major factor in Brady’s success thus far is the fact that he is left-handed. “It really affects the game,” he said. “People don’t expect it, and they get caught off guard.”

As a freshman, Brady still has four years to share his talent with the Cathedral Catholic community. “I chose to come to Cathedral because it has great academics and great athletics,” he said. He considered other high schools, including Steele Canyon, but he ended up choosing Cathedral anyways.

Brady’s baseball career is certainly one to watch as he is expected to continue to excel throughout his high school career. Someday, he may even join the number of Dons alumni in Major League Baseball, including Barry Zito and Mark Prior.