Freshman makes varsity girls basketball

Freshman makes varsity girls basketball

Juliet Jones, a freshman here at Cathedral, eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. The sport is her life, and her family has the same ideals. Her father coached high school basketball, and her brother is on the basketball team at Saint Augustine High School. It only seems fit that she would play basketball here at Cathedral. But did anyone guess that she would make the varsity team as a freshman?

Juliet  was introduced to basketball at the age of six. “Since I was little, I’ve played,” she said. She’s obviously not a rookie to the sport, and she was definitely ready when tryouts came around.

On the first day of tryouts Juliet was very apprehensive. She said, “Oh yeah, I was so nervous. I had butterflies all day.” When she finally got the call that told her she had gotten on the varsity team, she was astounded. “I’m very proud of myself,” she said. She knows the hard work was well worth it, and she’s excited for next year.

Juliet feels that playing on the varsity team this year has prepared her for the season next year. “I do think it helps me for the upcoming years. I feel like it helped me prepare. I’m really excited for next year, but I still need to practice,” she said.

Being the only freshman on the team is a really new experience for Juliet. “I really like hanging out with all the other girls,” she said. ‘

She has some advice for girls who are going to try out for the team next year, “Just be prepared and work on the off season. Don’t just work during basketball season.”