In the spirit of the holidays, El Cid reviews Christmas movies

In spirit of the Christmas season El Cid decided to have you, our readers, vote on your favorite Christmas movies. We’ve decided to review them so, if you’ve never seen some of the movies, you can look at the review and decide if it they’re something you would like to watch. We rated the movies based on a scale of 1-5 (5 being the best, 1 being the worst). Look at the stars, and you’ll figure out which movies are worth watching.

Christmas with the Kranks: 1 star 

Based on John Grisham’s novel Skipping Christmas, Christmas With the Kranks focuses around Nora (Jamie Lee Curtis) and Luther Krank’s (Tim Allen) decision to put their enthusiasm for the holidays aside for a tropical cruise. With their daughter Blair ( Julie Gonzalo) in Peru with the Peace Corps, the Kranks believe it just isn’t worth it to have an elaborate Christmas. They decide no presents, Christmas trees, nor decorations of any kind. But, when Blair decides to return home for the holidays, Nora and Luther must scramble to create the perfect Christmas.

krank

The Santa Clause Series: 3 stars

When Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) inadvertently kills Santa on Christmas Eve, he finds himself magically recruited to take his place. With the help of his son, Charlie Calvin (Eric Lloyd), he must deliver toys unexpectedly and discover his inner child to save Christmas and rekindle his relationship with his son.

santa

Elf: 5 stars

After inadvertently wreaking havoc on the elf community due to his ungainly size, Buddy the Elf (Will Ferrell), a man raised as an elf at the North Pole, is sent to the U.S. in search of his true identity. When he arrives in New York City during Christmas time, he is completely taken aback by how different it is from the North Pole. Using his Christmas spirit and his kindness, he must find his father, save Christmas, and get the girl of his dreams.

elf

Home Alone Series: 3 stars 

When 8-year-old Kevin (Macaulay Culkin) is left at home after his parents mistakenly fly to France for Christmas vacation, he finds himself trapped in his home where he must defend himself from idiotic burglars in clever and hilarious ways.

home

How the Grinch Stole Christmas: 3 stars

Misery loves company, and after one ugly hairy green monster, known as the Grinch, realizes he is alone and miserable, he is inspired to ruin the most cheerful and happy holiday of them all: Christmas. After witnessing the fun and laughter of holiday cheer, The Grinch hatches a plan to steal Christmas.

grinch

The Polar Express: 2 stars

On Christmas Eve, a young boy is awoken to the sound of a mysterious thundering train in his front yard. Skeptical, the boy decides to board the train that will take him on an eventful journey through the snow.

express