Film festival features student work

Film festival features student work

With the smell of buttered popcorn and the chatter of excited students filling the dimmed theatre, it was once again time for the annual CCHS Short Film Festival.  Mr. Ryan Andrzejewski, CC film teacher, chose eight student films that best represent this year’s multimedia department.  Each movie was a collaborative effort, with the students writing, directing, filming, and producing the works entirely on their own.  The festival took place on the night of May 13th at seven o’clock in the theatre, but the films can still be accessed through Mr. Andrzejewski and the film department.  While the following synopses give brief descriptions of and insights into the festival’s winning submissions, nothing beats seeing the films themselves.

A Walk in the Woods

Three restless teenagers, one empty afternoon, and the adventure of a lifetime: “A Walk in the Woods”

Chosen for its unique filming, this short movie follows a group of boys on their seemingly normal hike through a grassy area.  From a frantic race away from a group of black-clad attackers to a stand-off in the middle of a living room, this thrilling film kept the audience on the edge of their seats until the final cliff-hanger–the camera shutting off as though pushed out of someone’s hand.  The filming, which seemed to be done entirely by a hand-held camera, added to the realism of the movie.

Film1

Apples and Oranges

An artsy take on a classic saying, “Apples and Oranges” joins symbolism with clever camera angles.

In this creative film, a young traveling orange salesman spots a beautiful girl jogging and instantly falls in love.  He writes letters on his oranges that spell out “U R CUTE,” but the girl’s boyfriend, who pulls up in a black truck completely decked out with apples, arrives before she has the chance to read all of the oranges.  As the girl drives away, the young lover kicks his unhelpful fruit across the street and walks away. By the end, the film had most of the female audience members sighing and “aww”-ing.

Film2

Shiny

What happens when a curious little girl is left alone with a “Shiny” new ornament she has been warned not to touch?

Starring the cutest actress in the entire festival, this film revolves around a little girl’s desire to touch a beautiful new ornament, which her mother tells her not to go near.  The girl ends up holding and accidentally dropping it.  After she and her friend unsuccessfully try to fix the broken ornament with newspaper and tape, her mother comes in, realizes what has happened, and forgives the young child.  In the next scene, the girl’s friend comes over and notices yet another new ornament on the Christmas tree.  As the screen goes black, all that can be heard is the sound of glass breaking.

Film3

Skip

A day in the life of a teleporter: “Skip”

A gifted teenage boy, with the ability to teleport from one place to another, allows his best friend to guilt him into teleporting into school after hours and stealing the answers to a test.  What he doesn’t expect is the “Men in Black” lookalike that shows up at his house the following day.  For the next few shots, they wrestle in multiple settings, teleporting to a new place after every few seconds.   The shocking ending, involving a fast-moving car, a quick shove, and a final scene at the beach, allows the audience’s imagination to fill in the blanks.

Film4

Sleepover Scare

The stereotypical girly leader, ditzy best friend, nerd, jock, and goth are all present in this captivating version of a cliched “Sleepover Scare.”

In this thrilling sleepover-turns-mystery, parents decide to have some fun at their teenage daughter’s slumber party.  Flickering lights and missing friends has everyone accusing each other of causing the mayhem.  A mixture of dark scenes and cleverly placed bits of comedic relief give the film just the right feel.  Until the final scene, the audience is left as clueless as the sleepover guests, guessing right along with the characters.

Film5

Sneak Out

Trying to “Sneak Out” of the house isn’t always as easy as it sounds.

This comical short film follows a teenage boy’s failed attempts to sneak past his dad, the only thing standing between him and a hang-out session with his girlfriend.  Bad planning, bad timing, and irresistible brownies keep him from successfully outsmarting his omnipresent father.  After he finally accepts defeat and begins wallowing in self-pity, a tap on his window and a smile from his girlfriend proves that his night is only just beginning.

Film6

The Run

A boy who forgets his homework ends up going on “The Run” of a lifetime.

A few minutes, a bathroom pass, and a pair of fast legs are the only things that can keep a high school student from getting a detention for not turning in his homework.  His ridiculous journey involves sprinting across campus, sneaking past distracted security guards, hitchhiking a ride down the street, and stealing a random bicycle.  After finally retrieving his homework, his efforts are thwarted by the appearance of the neighborhood bully. Will he make it back on time and turn in his assignment?

Film7

What Is Love?

The timeless question: “What Is Love?”

The final film addresses the ever-popular subject of love.  This documentary shows various couples and individuals answering questions about love and relationships.  From the young, newly engaged couple to the woman who has been married for years, each gives their own ideas and thoughts on the subject.  The people share inspiring stories and insightful advice, leaving the audience with a hopeful and positive view of love.

Film8 

View Comments (1)
Alexa Samaniego
Alexa Samaniego, Staff Writer
Hi there! My name is Alexa Samaniego, and I'm a sophomore here at Cathedral Catholic. This is my first semester as a journalist, but I've been in love with writing for years. I also love acting, singing, and directing plays I've written. (I'm also a very strong advocate for the Oxford Comma!) In the future, I hope to major in psychology or philosophy, possibly with a minor in theatre. This year, though, my focus is on raising school-wide awareness of the wonderful paper that we are creating here. I am honored to contribute to El Cid.

• M

Mr. RicklingMay 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Very well done, Alexa! You have a great way with words that not many have. Keep up the great work!

Reply
Film festival features student work