Ms. Marie Lopez transitions from youth ministry to teaching high school

Monica Inoue, Staff Writer

After organizing scavenger hunts, grass skirt football, slip-slide dodge ball, retreats, and other activities as a youth minister, Ms. Marie Lopez is now switching gears to join Cathedral Catholic’s staff as a religion teacher for sophomores and juniors. Using her experience as a youth minster at Ascension Parish in Tierrasanta for the past five years, Ms. Lopez employs various ways to teach and relate to students on a different level.

Ms. Lopez has a strong faith life, and confirms that religion has always been a major part of her life. She used to attend a youth group herself called Mission of San Diego. She studied Catechetics at Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio and also taught a practicum course at Steubenville. She later became a youth minister and taught Confirmation classes at the Ascension Parish.

Ms. Lopez recently switched from leading youth ministry to teaching Catholic Faith 10, Christian Morality, and Sacraments. As she was getting her Masters degree, she thought it would be a good time to switch to teaching in a classroom. She liked youth ministry, but she wanted a new change and different way to relate to teenagers. Cathedral proved to be that change.

“Cathedral is authentically Catholic. Everyone loves it here so much.” Also, as a teacher, she is able to see her students several times a week, while as a youth minister she usually only got to see them once a week. Though the two positions are not identical, Ms. Lopez still thinks fondly of both. “They are different, but both good,” she said.

Ms. Lopez says that “Cathedral is a great school,” and her friends and students genuinely like the school as well. Her favorite part is the great mix of students, and being able to help them learn about their faith. Cathedral is a larger and more diverse community when compared to her parish, which had a staff of about ten.

Ms. Lopez uses her experience as a youth minister to relate to her class. Her passion is to help students connect with their spiritual life and establish a personal relationship with God. While teaching here, Ms. Lopez hopes to have her students “go beyond just learning about God to knowing Him personally.”