CCHS brings Kairos retreat close to home

At Oakbridge Young Life Camp, one of the locations for the new Kairos Retreat, CCHS students join their youth groups on Spring Retreat.

Katelyn Gueco, Assistant Spiritual Editor

With all the changes to the Campus Ministry program at Cathedral Catholic High School this year, the new Kairos retreat allows attending seniors to strengthen their relationships with God while also taking time for self-discovery.

“Seniors are at a place where they’re thinking about their future,” CCHS retreat teacher Mr. Jeff Gramme said. “Kairos is a good time to reflect on who you are and create a deeper connection with yourself and your peers.”

At a time when spirituality is decreasing in American society, a three-day Kairos retreat focuses on self-evaluation and meditation regarding one’s relationship with God and with their peers, allowing seniors to gain better understanding of themselves and their faith.

The religion department replaced senior retreat with Kairos because it wanted to bring a certain depth to the upperclassmen, uniting seniors through their shared experiences during the three-day getaway.

For students attending one of the upcoming Kairos retreats, the experience opens new opportunities for the graduating class to bond with each other on a spiritual and emotional level one last time before they graduate.

A Kairos retreat ranks as more spiritually focused than other CCHS-sponsored retreats.

“For all those attending retreat, I would encourage you remain open,” veteran Kairos retreat leader and University of San Diego High School alumna Rachel Erdag ’05 said. “Kairos is a place you can be yourself, not feel judged, but to be loved.”

The first three retreats will be held at the Palomar Christian Conference Center, and the subsequent retreats will be hosted at Oakbridge Young Life Camp. Other than the location and dates, the religion department has no further information about the details of Kairos.

However, the secrecy does not bother retreat minister Olivia LaQua ’17.

“I’m extremely excited for retreat because it drives me to be the best possible version of myself in a spiritual setting,” LaQua said. “Everyone who goes on retreat comes back refueled and with a better outlook.”

CCHS retreats provide students time away from the hustle and bustle of high school life. As the seniors prepare to make the big transition from high school into college, identity and self-awareness become crucial to their happiness, making the Kairos retreat the perfect setting for self-evaluation and contemplation.

According to Mr. Gramme, that is why Kairos is perfect for seniors.

“Kairos has a spiritual depth meant for seniors,” Mr. Gramme said. “They’re campus leaders and can spread that depth to the school community.”