How to live a healthy lifestyle in high school

Celine Aubry-Dumand, Editor-in-Chief

Eating healthy is not always easy, especially when faced with the temptation of pigging out on unhealthy foods like corndogs and ice cream. But taking just a few extra steps in the lifestyle department can go a long way in allowing you the occasional not-so-healthy treat.

Here are five tips for maintaining a healthy lifestyle while in high school.

1. Educate yourself on healthy eating
    Food is central to our lives, whether we like it or not. Because we depend on food for our survival, making sure that the food we eat is healthy is all the more important. Educating yourself about healthy eating habits can help you live a healthier life. “Being healthy definitely helps me perform better academically and athletically. I find that eating healthy also improves my mood whereas eating poorly makes me feel crummy as a whole,” sophomore track star Olivia Firsching said. Consider talking to your parents, family, friends, or even looking online to become more aware of the food you are putting into your body and the kinds of foods you should avoid. Google “healthy eating” and you’ll be surprised by how many hits you get. Read these websites to find ways to reduce sugar consumption, maintain a healthy weight and provide your body with the essential vitamins and minerals it needs to be healthy and alert.
  2. Sleep
    Sleep deprivation can cause all sorts of problems, including poor academic and athletic performance, grouchiness and irritability, illness and even car accidents. According to numerous studies, high schoolers need about 8-10 hours of sleep a night but are only getting 7-7.25 hours of sleep per night on average. “I’m driven to live a healthy lifestyle mainly by sports. I train and perform best when I eat well and get substantial amounts of sleep,” Firsching said.
  3. Stay hydrated
    Drink lots of water throughout the day to eliminate toxins and stay hydrated. On average, people should drink 8-10 cups of water per day.
  4. Exercise                                                                                                                                                             Getting exercise is one of the best ways to stay healthy. Although physical education is a requirement for at least one semester in high school, high schoolers need to do more. According to the U.S. government’s Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, adolescents should get at least 60 minutes of exercise a day. This includes walking, running, doing push-ups and anything else that gets your heart pumping and your muscles moving. “My mom has taught me from a young age to make good food choices. She finds a variety of ways to enjoy fruits and vegetables, while also keeping active by running,” senior Megan Lowrie said. Getting enough exercise, especially during high school, can be just as important as eating healthy food.
  5. Say no to drugs                                                                                                                                                      Stay away from illegal drugs. They’ll kill brain cells and have the potential to damage your body in ways you may not be aware of until later in life. So do your young self and your future older self a favor, and say no to drugs.