The Fashion File: Halloween costume boo’s and don’ts

Melissa Vorndran, Copy Editor

As Halloween rapidly approaches, everyone has one crucial question on their minds: “What am I going to wear?”

Whether you go all out for Halloween every year or throw a costume together at the last minute, here are some Do’s and Don’ts about what to wear on the spookiest day of the year.

DO DIY: A quick search of the internet shows that many costumes can be made from clothes that you already have. Try searching Pinterest for something simple and easy that can be thrown together the night before (or day of). Another advantage of Do It Yourself costumes are that they are often much less expensive than buying a full-on costume at a Halloween store.

DO be creative: Be original with your costume idea! Throw some extra effort into putting together your costume and you’ll be extra proud of it.

DO be comfortable: If you want to be a bunch of grapes but don’t want to walk around all day with balloons taped to yourself, maybe save the grape costume for Saturday and go as something simple on Friday. Even if your costume is fantastic, you’ll be mad at yourself if you don’t dress appropriately for a day at school.

DON’T get dress coded: Speaking of appropriate, nothing takes the fun out of Halloween like getting a detention for an inappropriate costume. Be sure to review the costume guidelines emailed to all students and tailor your Friday costume accordingly.

DON’T take it too seriously: Remember, it’s just Halloween. It doesn’t have to be a huge deal that your costume isn’t the greatest or you didn’t hand make it. As long as you’re having fun celebrating, that’s all that counts. And if you don’t want to wear a costume, that’s cool, too.

Have a fun and safe Halloween!