Principal’s Buenos Aires Trip creates opportunity for Dons

Principals Buenos Aires Trip creates opportunity for Dons

While students were soaking in the sun at the beach, going on tropical vacations, and clearing their heads of all things school-related, principal Mr. Mike Deely had a different mindset. This past summer, accompanied by Father Martin, Mr. Deely traveled to Buenos Aires to work with some Catholic schools there, training and teaching them about technology.

The trip was funded by the archdiocese of Buenos Aires and, though he missed his family while away on the two week excursion, Mr. Deely was able to both teach and learn a myriad of things. Argentinian dance, a tour of the countryside, and a rowdy soccer game were all part of the trip. Mr. Deely also visited cathedrals and said , “The great thing about being Catholic is that you can always find things to relate to with other people. Even going to mass is very similar.”

Mr. Deely most enjoyed the day spent helping and teaching the new schools built in some of the poorest areas. The significance of this is specific to the current time more than ever, as we are in the midst of the Catholic “Year of Faith.” Pope Francis, who is from Buenos Aires, has specifically called the believers to “go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask.” Mr. Deely was able to do just this his whole trip, and also sat in the mini- van that the Pope Francis himself rode in.

“The [Argentineans] were awesome people. It’s great to see how other schools work,” said Mr. Deely. Mr. Deely also wants his students to have the opportunity that he had. He wants students to get a taste of how other schools work too, which is why an exchange program to and from Argentina is being  planned.

Basically, students from Argentina will come and stay with Cathedral families in January, and Cathedral students will have an opportunity to stay in Argentina in June. “The best part is that the trip isn’t over. We want to do this annually and develop this relationship with kids going back and  forth,” said Mr. Deely.

– See more at: https://www.elcidonline.com/top-stories/2013/10/17/mr-deelys-buenos-aires-trip-leads-to-a-similar-opportunity-for-dons/#sthash.AjkGSI2Z.dpuf