Seniors: Ways to spend the upcoming day off

Cassandra Fernandes, Features Editor

While juniors, sophomores, and freshman alike are dreading October 15th, All-School Testing Day, seniors have been looking forward to this day for practically their entire high school careers. Since they do not have to take the PSAT, seniors are given this day off. Even though the weather is predicted to be gloomy, El Cid would like to ensure that this free day is not wasted, so please consider some of our suggestions on how to spend the day:

Prep for homecoming

With the homecoming dance set for Saturday, we hope that most students have already planned their attire. But given that senioritis is rampant, we won’t fault anyone who has been procrastinating. So, this Wednesday could be a welcome opportunity to find the perfect homecoming dress or dress shirt. Be sure to check out the dress code first.

Get spooked

What better way to get in the October spirit than to take part in a haunted excursion? Scream Zone at the Del Mar fairgrounds seems to be Cathedral students’ haunted venue of choice, but the Haunted Trails and Haunted Hotel, both in Balboa Park, are also viable options. Conveniently, on Wednesdays this year, the Haunted Hotel goes lights-out. According to the website, “Attendees must feel their way through the haunt in a total blackout with nothing but a glow necklace.” But fear not, seniors. Even in the dark, it probably still won’t be as scary as the PSAT.

Watch an IMAX movie at the Reuben H. Fleet Center

This option might sound a bit nerdy, but we assure seniors that watching a movie in the center’s dome with a 76-foot wraparound movie screen and 16,000 watts of digital surround sound easily beats a viewing in a mundane movie theater. Take a look at show times for visually stunning films like “A Hidden Universe” and “Journey to South Pacific,” and buy tickets here.

Visit Disneyland

One word: Disneyland. Not only will the park be decked out for Halloween, but going in the middle of the week ensures that the crowds will be smaller. Granted, tickets can be pricey. If many seniors are interested in going, Disneyland does offer a discounted price for groups of 15 or more. Also, be sure to look up some Disney park secrets before attending.

Work on college applications

Though the thought of spending a glorious day off working on applications might not exactly sound enticing, the fact remains that deadlines are quickly approaching. Apps for UC schools must be submitted by the end of November, and many other universities have early decision deadlines set for November 1st. Clearly, seniors have no time to waste. With a free day, students can make significant headway on a personal statement or fill out all the tedious questions of the common app. Drink some tea and take lots of Netflix breaks if necessary, but ultimately, seniors, you will not regret using this day to invest in your future. Stumped on what to write in your college essay? Check out this article to help fight off writer’s block.

Plan a hike

Even though this Wednesday might not be hot enough for the beach, the weather will be ideal for a hike. Both Torrey Pines State Park and Cowles Mountain offer perfect paths for beginners, but for those seeking more of a challenge, Mt. Woodsen (“Potato Chip Rock”) is also a popular hiking spot among students. The hike takes around three hours and is nearly all steeply uphill, but the motivation of taking a selfie on the famous potato chip rock is enough to keep most people going.

Check out a farmer’s market

Encinitas, Carlsbad, and Ocean Beach all hold farmer’s markets on Wednesdays. Score some points with parents by offering to pick up the groceries, support local businesses, and feel really eco-conscious and earthy-hip – all at the same time. Bonus points: select a Pinterest recipe to make with all the fresh ingredients found at the market. Find specific times and street locations here.

Mini road trip

Julian is only about an hour and a half away, and one can take part in applepicking, pie tasting, pumpkin carving, and even cemetery exploring in the old-fashioned town. With bookstores, boutiques, and hand-made candy shops, a trip to Julian seems like an ideal fall outing. Malibu, Newport, and Laguna are also enticing destinations for a day trip.

Participate in Taco Tuesday

We must admit that we’re huge advocates for Taco Tuesday. So, though this technically isn’t a way to spend the actual Wednesday off, we still encourage seniors to take advantage of this Tuesday night without homework and participate in the $2 tacos. Old Town features many different Mexican restaurants that participate in the discounted taco tradition; El Cid recommends trying Café Coyote for delicious and cheap taco offerings.

No matter how you choose to spend it, seniors, make the most of this precious day off. There are only 229 days until graduation!