Roll Dons roll, baby

From+the+baseball+diamond+to+the+track%2C+CCHS+spring+athletic+teams+recorded+numerous+CIF+and+Western+League+titles%2C+including+the+girls+softball+team+that+won+the+CIF+Open+Division+Championship+by+defeating+Ramona+High+School+3-0+in+10+innings+at+UCSD+behind+a+monumental+effort+by+pitcher+Megan+Faraimo+18%2C+who+not+only+pitched+all+10+innings%2C+but+also+recorded+more+than+200+strikeouts+during+the+season.+

From the baseball diamond to the track, CCHS spring athletic teams recorded numerous CIF and Western League titles, including the girls softball team that won the CIF Open Division Championship by defeating Ramona High School 3-0 in 10 innings at UCSD behind a monumental effort by pitcher Megan Faraimo ’18, who not only pitched all 10 innings, but also recorded more than 200 strikeouts during the season.

Lauren Rabbitte, Staff Writer

From the track to the pool, Cathedral Catholic High School sports teams have dominated throughout spring 2017 season. All 15 of the teams have had successful seasons, while enjoying the overall experience that each sports community has to offer.

“The spring sports have done an amazing job this year, noting that crew are going to nationals, and almost every team made playoffs,” CCHS Dean of Athletics Mr. David S. Smola said.

Here is a quick recap of a few of the spring sport teams’ seasons.

Softball 

The varsity softball team at this point has had an exciting and successful season so far. The Lady Dons finished strong in the new Western league with a 10–0 record after clinching the CIF Open Division Championship title in a 3-0 win against Ramona High School.

“Junior Megan Faraimo (22-1 record) has been outstanding on the mound with junior Jacey Bourgeois catching all of those innings behind the plate,” CCHS Head Softball Coach Margaret Mauro said. “Senior leaders Olivia Laqua and Raven LeClair have provided true leadership at shortstop and centerfield.”

It is clear that the two juniors and two seniors have contributed quality and timely hitting for their squad.

“The seven sophomores and two freshmen certainly have rounded out the lineup and contribute with their offense and defense,” Ms. Mauro said.

Crew

The crew team has come together more than ever this year by working hard and maintaining positivity.

“Our hard work definitely paid off at regionals and will hopefully pay off at nationals this following weekend,” CCHS student-athlete Jenna Vandegrift ’17 said.

The team is currently in New Jersey for the regional competition.

“We are so blessed to represent Cathedral at Nationals from so many miles away,” Vandegrift said.

Track and Field

The track and field team finished its league season undefeated as Western
League champions. Overall, the team has had a positive year despite struggling with a few injuries.

“Both teams should finish within the top five in CIF,” CCHS Head Track and Field Coach Mr. Dan Geiger said. “In fact, the girls team have a strong chance of winning.”

CCHS student-athlete Nicole Golba ’17 placed first in three events of the Western League this year, and CCHS student-athlete Kevin Fernandez ’16 also placed first in two events. CCHS student-athlete Olivia Firsching ’16 is a key member of the team, as she is the count leader for the girls 400 meter race, and she is headed to the state finals.

Golf

The golf team won both the Western League Championships and the City Conference Tournament.

CCHS student-athletes Shane Ffrench ’20 and Matt Mendes ’17 are two players who stand out and have brought the team to victory.

“Our team had such a blast this year,” Mendes said. “Every time we had a match, we would all get super excited to go play because it was another chance to bond as a team and play the best we could.”

CCHS AP government teacher Joe Filippone completed his first year as the CCHS head golf coach.

“Our coaches, Mr. Filippone and Mr. Rickling, were awesome, giving us motivation all year to keep us in the right mindset,” Mendes said.

The team finished runner up in CIF after winning the the San Diego Boys City Conference Tournament the week before.

Shane French ’20 finished in the top 10 individuals and will move on to the Southern California Regionals in Pasadena.

“We wish him the best of luck,” Mendes said. “This year was a year to remember, and I am so glad I was apart of it.”

Baseball 

The varsity baseball team, which finished 7-3 in Western League, is currently competing in the CIF Open Division Championships after defeating Christian High School 4-0 in the second round of the CIF Open Division Championships. The squad will continue in the semifinals today at 1 p.m. against Helix High School at CCHS.

The Dons’ season relies on the strength of its pitchers, led by CCHS student-athletes Cade Brown ’16, Nick Nastrini ’16, Noah Owen ’16, Michael Defilippi ’16 and Parvinder Ghumman ’17.

The Dons offense and defense has dominated thanks to the dedication of CCHS student-athletes Wyatt Hoffman ’16, Jacob Allred ’16, Danny Becerra ’16, and Logan Whitesides ’16.

“We think we have a great bunch of kids, and we are excited for the opportunity to defend our Open Division CIF title from last year,” CCHS Head Baseball Coach Gary Remiker said.

Swim and Dive

This year at CIF finals the girls placed first and the boys were runner ups. Both teams were also Western League champs.

“It was really cool for me to end my senior year with a CIF win, especially since Cathedral hasn’t won in a long time,” CCHS student athlete Jessica Pentlarge ’17 said.

On the girls side, the medley relay and 400 free relay set school records. Pentlarge also set school records in the 100 meter free and 100 meter backstroke. Finally, Pentlarge competed in state for both events, placing 6th in the 100 meter free race.