Dons water polo gains revenge versus Bishops

Hannah Edwards

Austin Smit ’19 shakes hands with members of The Bishops School water polo team after his team won its game. The look of exhaustion does not prevent good sportsmanship from closing the game.

LeeAnne Bates, Sports Editor

The Cathedral Catholic High School boys varsity water polo team swam up against long time rival The Bishops School and prevailed with a close 6-4 win.

“We’re a young group with only a couple returning varsity players,” CCHS Assistant Coach Jake Hodgens said. “We were prepared for this game.”

To start the game, both teams displayed scrappy efforts that resulted in constant turnovers, which resulted in wild and unorganized play, as multiple athletes grappled with one another. Much of the first quarter consisted of wasted shot clocks and balls thrown to the corners for continuous turnovers.

At one point, TBS attempted a backhand shot, but CCHS goalie Andrew “AJ” Kuypers ’19 grasped a close save.

“There is definitely a lot of pressure,” Kuypers said. “High school is a little bit different from club. I’ve definitely improved on the mental and physical side.”

Later, CCHS player Dennis Blyashov ’17 and an opposing player pushed and shoved each other, prompting CCHS Head Coach Brett Ormsby to try to persuade the referee to give the rival team a foul, but to no avail.

Eventually, Blyashov scored the first goal of the game with only 1:57 left in the first quarter.

After a player from TBS was ejected from the game, Ormsby quickly called timeout so CCHS could prepare for a 6-on-5 set up.

Although CCHS failed to utilize its advantage, the team quickly mounted another attack.  

Chris Sturtevant ’19, who was positioned on the right wing, made a cross pass to Gruwell. However, TBS pulled Gruwell down and gained possession without the referee making a foul call.

The second quarter began with another shot from TBS and another save by Kuypers, which led to CCHS scoring another goal by Blyashov.

Then, Spencer Nelson ’17 made a sweep shot at two meters, advancing the score to 3-0 in favor of CCHS by the middle of the second quarter.

After CCHS player Conway Cleary ’17 received an ejection at the 3:05 mark, TBS scored a goal out of the time out, bringing the score to 3-1.

TBS continued with a drive down the left side and a shot to the goal, but Kuypers blocked the shot. Then, Kuypers advanced the ball to Blyashov who promptly made his third goal of the game, making the score 4-1 at halftime.

The scrappy play continued in the second half, resulting in a double ejection of Gruwell and TBS player. Once back in the game, Gruwell struggled down the pool with two opponents on his back, forcing the referee to call a five-meter penalty.

Mr. Ormsby gave Blyashov the opportunity to score, but Blyashov shot the ball straight at the goalie.

At the start of the fourth quarter, Blyashov won the sprint for CCHS, but as he flicked the ball behind him, he missed and landed it between both teams.  A mad dash ensued as both teams raced to take possession of the ball.

The mistake lead TBS to score, moving the score to 4-2. 

However, CCHS and TBS both managed to add two more goals, and in the remaining seconds of the game, CCHS spread out to waste the clock, finishing the game with a 6-4 victory.

“After we lost to Bishops [the last time], we got together as a team and talked about some things we needed to change in practice,” Blyashov said. “We put effort in every aspect of the game.”