Dons tame the Mustangs in stable shootout

Carson Linxwiler, Photo Editor

The Cathedral Catholic High School girls varsity field hockey team came out swinging last week against the Otay Ranch High School, winning in dominant fashion 5-0.

The Dons started the contest strong, putting pressure on Otay Ranch and scoring within minutes. Repeated offensive attacks kept the ball on the Mustang side of the field for much of the first half.

“We used new techniques called lifts to help get us into goal scoring opportunities,” CCHS student-athlete Mary Henderson ‘18 said.

A pair of fouls by the Mustangs led to two strong CCHS shots that failed to connect with the back of the goal. Aggression late in the half from Otay Ranch led to a blocked shot by the Dons, finishing the first half 2-0.

The second half started much like the first, resulting in another CCHS driving force and ultimately scoring another goal. Following a brief offensive stint from the Mustangs, the Dons grabbed the ball back while running down the field.

After holding the ball deep in Mustang territory for almost three minutes, the Dons finally squeaked another shot through, putting them on top 4-0.

Coming to a stalemate, neither side managed to gain much ground, when suddenly the Dons forced a turnover, which led to a fast break and another score.

Up 5-0, CCHS played a more defensive game for the rest of the match, focusing on overall possession and pushing the game to a close.

The win improved the team’s record to 10-3.

The Dons hope to use this match to propel the team for rest of the season.

“Our strong passing game and great team communication really helped us get the win tonight,” Sierra Freitas ‘18 said.

Earlier this week, CCHS topped Valley Center High School by a score of 6-0.

The team will compete next Oct. 17 at the CCHS lower field versus Westview High School.