CCHS track and swim teams compete in annual aquathlon

Photo by: Matthew Bailey '17

Young Han ’18 prepares to dive into the swimming portion of the swim and track meet while Claire Hobrock ’16 crosses the finish line to the running portion and Dennis Blyashov ’17 trails behind.

Matthew Bailey, PR Manager

Dashing under the blazing sun in blistering 85 degree weather, athletes from the Cathedral Catholic High School swim and track teams rivaled each other in a 45 minute run-and-swim competition held yesterday afternoon at Manchester Stadium and the pool.

“It was a great experience for me, and I’m glad I was able to participate in the event since it wasn’t held last year due to lack of time, conflicting events and low priority,” swimmer Young Han ’18 said.

Four teams, each made up of three girls and three boys, represented the track team, and the swim team provided five teams, a combined makeup of 54 participants.

Each competitor was required to run one lap around the track, exit by the guest bleachers and swim the length of the pool in order to complete their leg of the race. The swimmers came prepared to run, but some of the runners did not bring a bathing suit, so they jumped into the pool in shorts and socks.

Exiting the pool, the competitors tagged their teammates, and the relay continued. Each person took between two to three minutes to complete the course.

“Everybody ran and swam one lap each,” CCHS track team Head Coach Dan Geiger said. “There were probably close to 300 people out here watching. It’s a highlight every year.”

Teammates who did not take part in yesterday’s event cheered on those who were racing. Almost the entirety of the 300 spectators stood on the grassy mound adjacent to the pool.

As expected, most athletes did not perform well outside of his or her respective sport.

“It was fun being able to compete against people we don’t normally compete against and in events we don’t normally compete in,” runner Hazel Groff ’18 said. “Swimming felt like death, but I’m happy we did it because we bonded with the swim team.”

The amount of preparation for the race varied by athlete. Distance runners were the only athletes who specifically underwent training, and working out immediately before the meet, they were already exhausted upon arrival to the starting line.

“Personally, I didn’t really prepare for the meet,” swimmer Victoria Aragon ’17 said. “I know that some of the swimmers went on a fun run last week.”

Points were added to the teams’ scores according to how well each player performed. First place received ten points, second place received eight points and third place received six points.

In total, the swim team pulled ahead of the track team and won the overall meet. However, the track team placed first and fourth overall.

“Our A team was the fastest,” Coach Geiger said. “They won the race. But when all the points are totaled, the swim team beat us. They beat us 17-14.”

The track and swim meet was meant to be a fun and exciting competition to build athletic morale, and that is exactly what it accomplished.

“These are two different sports teams that are similar in that you compete as an individual, but you’re a part of a team and I think there are a lot of kids who may have previously ran who are currently swimmers and vice versa,” Coach Geiger said. “It’s just more fun between two different sports programs.

“I’m hoping the kids who raced today went home with a sense of camaraderie.”