Lady Dons soccer “built up” momentum to win in CIF playoffs

The+2014-2015+Lady+Dons+soccer+team+posing+on+the+field+at+Manchester+Stadium+

The 2014-2015 Lady Dons soccer team posing on the field at Manchester Stadium

Camilla Ibarra-Gallego, Staff Writer

The Cathedral Catholic Girls Varsity soccer team has done nothing else but prove their place in Western League. Since the beginning of their season, the Lady Dons prepared for many games and successfully earned a winning steak from December to January, but unfortunately lost to LCC with a score of 0-1 on January 16th. The girls have won all their League games and have also won two tournaments, the Mater Dei tournament and the Buch Lee Memorial Tournament.

The Lady Dons recently went to Texas to compete in a tournament where they met “very big competition,” said senior Jessica Clegg,  who has been in the varsity girl’s soccer team since she was a freshman. The team had their first loss during this tournament where they played three games but lost only one.

Despite their loss, the girls were not affected. “We have built up so much momentum that we think we can carry it out throughout the rest of the season until we hopefully can become champions,” said Clegg.

Winning wasn’t an easy task, however, for the girls. “Being on the team takes a lot of hard work and dedication, but it’s still a great opportunity to have a bond with your teammates. Well, more like sisters really,” she said.

Since most of the team is made up mostly of seniors, the biggest responsibility for them is to “pass on the legacy. We try to teach the other girls who will be here next year that even if a lot of their teammates are gone, they still need to stick together and be one. That’s how we win,” said senior Riley Marshall.

Coming into the month of February, the girls had fifteen wins, two losses, and two ties. Since then, they lost their first game on February 4th against the University City Centurions. They then had a winning streak by beating the Coronado Islanders 3-0, the OLP Pilots 3-0, the La Jolla Vikings 2-0, and the Patrick Henry Patriots 5-0.

These four games enabled the girls to advance into CIF playoffs as the #1 seed in Open Division. The match-up start today at Manchester Stadium at 5 p.m. will bE against the Torrey Pines Falcons.

Be sure to follow @ElCidSports on Twitter for updates on the rest of the girls’ season.