Dons basketballers depend on “momentum” to continue their success

The team playing their first Saints game in the West Hills Tournament

Alex Ayash, Staff Writer

Playing 5 games in 8 days, the Dons concluded their first tournament of the year at West Hills High School on Monday. The Dons had 3 wins beating Rancho Bernardo, San Dieguito Academy, Canyon Crest Academy and 2 losses versus Saint Augustine as well as Australia Box Hill, who came over from Australia to play in the tournament.   Although the Dons’ suffered two losses, they were close in both as there was only a six point scoring differential in each game.

Junior shooting guard Dom Madden said: “I thought we played really well for our first couple of games on the season. We played hard and were close in every game. This is a good sign. In our last game of the tournament we never gave up and that was important for us to win in overtime.”

In the Dons’ final game of the tournament vs Canyon Crest, junior point guard Cameron Moore made a last-second shot to secure the win in overtime. Moore played a key part as he finished the game with 22 points and 7 assists as well as making the game-winning basket. “I ran the play coach wanted me to, and when I had the space, I made the shot. It always feels good when you can get an overtime when like that. It was a great team game,” Moore said.

The Dons have already begun their next tournament which will last from Thursday thru Saturday up in the Sacramento area at Jesuit High School in Carmichael, CA.

Dom Madden was feeling confident the team was going to do fine: “I think that we will do pretty good in the Sacramento tournament. We have a lot of momentum going into the tournament, and I expect us to at least get a couple of wins.”

Cathedral lost their first game on Thursday vs Archbishop Mitty from San Jose, CA and will play again today at Jesuit High School vs Notre Dame, a team from the Los Angeles area.