Varsity boys’ basketball team prepares for “successful season”

Varsity boys basketball team prepares for successful season

Lorenzo Aguilar, Staff Writer

With the end of the football season, the CCHS boys’ varsity basketball team is ready to take their talents to a whole new level. With veterans like returning starters senior Cameron Moore and senior Reid Johnson, the team has high expectations for a successful season.

“This season, we have a bunch of newcomers including sophomores Zachary Green and Dallas Cunningham as well as juniors Austin Beech, Davis Gabriel, Dominic Madden, Mike Marshall and Jack Vecchio,” said forward Reid Johnson.

“This team is one of the best I’ve seen since I was a freshman, and I’m feeling pretty good about us. I’ve never had a team with such a close bond,” said varsity guard Davis Gabriel.

The boys are practicing hard with upcoming tournaments such as the Max Prep Classic in Palm Springs and a few smaller tournaments during Christmas. Throughout the season, the Dons will host games at our very own gym against other schools from around the county, including the rival St. Augustine Saints on January 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM. They will play five more schools from January 20th to February 20th.

“We have a great coach, great team, great chemistry and great staff.  We hope to really make it all the way this year to CIF and maybe even to the State Championships,” said Davis Gabriel.

The Dons started out strong by winning their first game this past Monday, December 1st against the Rancho Bernardo Broncos, as well as by destroying San Dieguito Academy. Unfortunately, the basketball team lost to visitors from St. Lawrence College in Australia by a mere six points, with a final score of 45-51.

If you want to watch the Dons compete, make sure to come out to the first game  of the season against Saints. It takes place tomorrow night, Saturday, December 6th, at 7:15 p.m. at West Hills High School. It will be a white-out, so wear your favorite white clothing and try to come out and support the boys!

For all updates on Cathedral’s sports teams, make sure to follow El Cid Sports on Twitter @elcidsports!