Dons football has big win against Eastlake, looks to continue their winning streak

Alex Ayash, Staff Writer

Last Friday, the Dons squared off against the Eastlake Titans out of Chula Vista, California. Eastlake, previously ranked as the seventh team in San Diego by MaxPreps, began their season with three wins and two losses. On Friday, they were coming off a big 23-0 win against St. Augustine.

Eastlake began the scoring in the first quarter with a 28-yard touchdown pass from #20 Aedan Johnson to #5 Thomas Lopez with a successful point after touchdown (PAT) also completed by Aedan Johnson.

The Dons then executed a trick play, a fake punt by #12 Adam Wilson which resulted in a 65 yard touchdown run and the PAT by #17 Tim Semenza.

The scoring in the second quarter did not halt, as an 80-yard touchdown run by Eastlake’s #26 Markeese Spence and a PAT by Aedan Johnson. The first half concluded with a score of 14-7 in Eastlake’s favor.

No more points were put on the board until the fourth quarter, when Cathedral’s #10 Clayton Dale threw a 33-yard touchdown pass to #48 Kai Walter. Tim Semenza got the PAT with seven minutes to go.

The deciding moment of the game came at the very end. Tim Semenza had a 32-yard field goal, winning the game for the Dons at the sound of the buzzer. The Dons’ victory score was 17-14.

This week, Cathedral Catholic will continue their successful season away, facing a Scripps Ranch team who has two wins and three losses. Scripps Ranch, ranked #393 in California, is coming off of a 27-34 loss against Point Loma High School, and is looking to get back on track with this game against the Dons.

Running back #36 Currie Thomason spoke on the morale of the team: “We are feeling confident going against Scripps Ranch because they have been struggling recently, and we have a lot of momentum going into the game. It should be a good game for both teams.”

Cathedral Catholic sits pretty comfortably right now with the #1 ranking in San Diego by MaxPreps, and the #14 ranking in California. The Dons face off against the Scripps Falcons on their home turf at 7:00 on Friday, and look to continue their winning streak.

Be sure to follow @ElCidSports on Twitter for updates on the game and the Dons’ season.