Girls Field Hockey hopes to be “the last team standing”

Chloe Riddlespurger, the only freshman on the team, competing on the field

Julia Martinez, Staff Writer

For the 2014-2015 Girls Field Hockey Team, it has been nothing but team bonding and strategy to best prepare the girls for yet another year of greatness.

The girls have been working since the first week of school in mid-August, in hopes to win by playing hard in all their games and striving to win Western League this year. The girls have been practicing long and hard Monday through Thursday after school, and Friday mornings before school, putting all their effort into becoming the best they can be.

Their practices consist of perfecting their best strategic plays, such as corners, and also performing a pregame warm up before every game, and at the beginning of every practice. “This pregame warm up has become second nature to us, and we truly do use it to get pumped for the rest of practice or a game,” said sophomore on Varsity, Francesca Federico.

So far, the girls have proved their hard work is paying off, in that they have won 4 out of their 5 games and tied one. Just recently, the girls beat their rivals, La Jolla High School, 2-1, a huge accomplishment for the team. They are one step closer to winning the Western League for 2014.

Not only has hard practice and strategy helped the girls improve in their games immensely, but the girls participate in constant team-bonding, giving them a ‘connection advantage’. The team feels the off-field connection helps their performance on the field, and proves to be a great success. The girls do many team activities, such as getting Acai on Wednesdays, and assigning warm-up partners each week to learn more about each other.

As well as the team taking initiative to get to know each other more, their team captains, Meg Larkin and Emily Nora, help the team stay well bonded through team sleepovers and dinners. They also keep the girls motivated in practice and games by pushing them harder alongside Coach Mary Jo Griswold, who’s in her second year coaching Field Hockey at Cathedral. Coach Griswold sees an advantage as she returns from last year. “I would say my most valuable players so far are my seven seniors. They all bring so much enthusiasm and dedication to our team,” Griswold said.

You can see this dedication at practices on the Manchester Field, or come support our Lady Dons and watch the games. Coach Griswold would love to see you there and said, “Our hope for this season is to work hard, improve everyday and be the last team standing. CIF Champs!”

Be sure to check out @ElCidSports on Twitter for updates on the girls’ season.