Dons “know what to do” in upcoming Newbury Park game

Dons know what to do in upcoming Newbury Park game

Alex Ayash, Staff Writer

Another Friday brought another victory for the Dons as they faced Helix last week in a very tight game. Helix, the previously ranked 14th team in the state, was coming off a big 34-10 victory against Del Oro High School in Loomis, California, and was looking to continue their momentum upon facing the Dons.

The Dons began the game with the football and on the first drive were successful in scoring a fifteen-yard field goal by senior kicker Tim Semenza, #17. Helix continued the scoring in the first quarter with a three-yard touchdown by running back Michael Sanders (#2) and a successful PAT by kicker Matthias Layton, #25.

The second quarter did not involve any scoring plays until there were just about nine minutes left and senior quarterback Clayton Dale, #10 threw a nineteen-yard touchdown pass to junior Kai Walter, #48. The PAT was no good; however, the Dons held onto the 9-7 lead and won the game.

On Friday, the Dons will face off against Newbury Park High School, the 61st ranked team in California, in Newbury Park, California. “Cathedral has continued their normal game routine by watching film on Newbury Park and having practice every weekday,” said Head Football Coach Sean Doyle. Though Newbury Park is undefeated, the team and the coaching staff feel very confident about the upcoming game. Coach Doyle said, “The players know what to do in this situation, so we feel real good.”

Dons kicker Kevin Boermeister, #14, elaborated on the spirit of the team in the locker room. “Even though we are playing a team out of San Diego area, we are feeling pretty good going into the game because we just beat the number one team in the county,” he said.

Despite the high confidence levels, the coaching staff does have their eyes on senior Arizona commit Darick Holmes Jr. “Number two and number five are brothers and it is a part of our game plan to stop them. They both play offense and defense and are the major contributors on the Panthers,” said Coach Sean Doyle. Darick’s brother, Darnay Holmes, is a sophomore who also has gained division one scholarships from schools of the likes of Arizona, UC Berkeley, Clemson State, Louisville, Ohio State, Tennessee, UCLA, Utah, and Washington State.

Though the two standout athletes pose a significant threat to the Cathedral Catholic football team, the Dons remains confident to gain the win at Newbury Park on Friday, September 26 at 7:00.

Be sure to follow @ElCidSports on Twitter for updates on the game and the Dons’ season.