Dance team’s hard work leads to sisterly bonding

Dance teams hard work leads to sisterly bonding

Bodies are collapsed on the ground, faces are a brilliant shade of scarlet, and shirts are soaked to the bone. Before long, an alarm goes off, and participants shakily rise to their feet, only to complete yet another circuit of crossfit exercises before promptly collapsing again.

“What I’m hoping to accomplish through these exercises is the workout itself,” said Morgan Cunning, junior. “I work-out to be stronger.”

Getting stronger both mentally and physically is not the only motivator to continue crossfit, however.

As it would happen, making Cathedral’s varsity dance team spectacular is another one of those reasons.

Well known for their halftime shows and highly-anticipated winter and spring concerns, the hard work and effort required to both make the dance team and stay on it are often underestimated due to the common misperception that dance is “not a sport” or is “easy.”

For junior Vanessa Collins, however, enduring crossfit and other similar exercises were still not enough to adequately prepare for the team’s physical demands. Before making the varsity team this season—after being on the JV team previously—Vanessa had to undergo hours upon hours of practicing her technique and style…days mastering ballet, hip hop, and jazz… days mastering her leaps and turns.

Vanessa had to undergo all of this, just to get a coveted spot on the squad.

“Being on varsity is a major commitment,” said Vanessa, who has consequently learned to be more flexible with her schedule and more organized. “The work that all of us put into this team is not easy, but when we work together, we’re able to accomplish both the difficult choreography that the team has to offer and our goals.”

In addition to practicing individually, Vanessa also worked with the team throughout the entire summer in preparation for their non-seasonal halftime performances, shows, events, competitions, and regular practices.

The teams partake in a  dance “boot camp,” in which they do immense amounts of cardio and perfect various types of choreography. They also work on  mastering their technique, focusing particularly on anything that includes leaps and turns, or even acro tricks.

As Vanessa said, “All of this not only helps prepare us for our upcoming season, but it also helps to blend the new members of the team in with the old members.”

Vanessa also mentioned how both JV and varsity teams have separate summer intensive trainings. Of the few entities differentiating the two teams, besides their labels, the requirements for making each team are fairly similar, only having slight differences. The most predominant difference would seem to be that the varsity girls simply perform in more outside events and learn significantly more routines throughout the year.

Regardless of any differences between the two teams, all of the girls are very close with one another.  It would seem that having an entire year to spend time with one another and work together only serves to make the teams closer. Further, it also allows the girls to have the same goals in mind for both themselves and their group as a whole. “We are sisters. We try to work as a team and get as much done as possible while still having fun,” said Vanessa.

Mikala Burr, junior and varsity dancer, shares similar sentiments. “I’ve noticed that the team has gotten a lot stronger and closer this season. I know I can trust everyone on the team and can always count on them to make me laugh”.

It is this same laughter, then, that is ever-present at all of the activities the team does with one other. During the summers they have beach days, and over the winter they go ice skating. The team also has a sleepover in the beginning of the season so as to welcome all the new members of the team and introduce everyone into the new season.

As for the new rookies on the team, Mikala feels that they have been improving their skills immensely. “I’ve definitely seen them grow a lot as dancers and as leaders on the team, especially with p the help of some of the returners who have been guiding them through it.”

According to Mikala, all of the girls are incredibly well-rounded and have learned to manage their time wisely. Despite pushing their bodies to the limits in practices, Mikala feels that “at the end of the day, we’re all a family of really funny and silly people.”

The “family” has come to include a beloved coach. “Our coach plays a big role not only on the team but also in our lives.” The majority of the girls having known her for about three or even four years, Ms. Sara Orbita is essentially a mentor to the girls.” In fact, it would seem that over the years, the team, through hard work and good leadership, has started to become more organized in comparison to past years.

As explained by Mikala, the girls would love to see a continuation of this, in addition to the vast amount of talent and the excellent work ethic that the team currently maintains.

Regardless of this, however, Mikala is just happy to be dancing for Cathedral. “Our school has a ton of spirit, and it is so much fun being able to be a part of it. Not only that, but I’m able to dance next to all of my best friends and create memories I will never forget.”