Fencing team welcomes all

Fencing team welcomes all

Imagine a masked individual running at you with full force, brandishing three feet of steel and having no goal in mind other than to hit you with the saber. For most, this hypothetical scenario would be an inexorable nightmare. For the Cathedral Catholic fencing team, however, this is a lifestyle.

“Fencing has been called chess at 100 mph,” said Maestro Stuart Lee, CCHS fencing team coach. “It’s tactical, dynamic, and it’s booming in the U.S. Kids who aren’t drawn to the more popular team sports will find fencing refreshing in a lot of ways. There is tradition, honor, and dignity in the sport that is uncommon in others.”

Though still in its early stages, the fencing team is quickly growing into a prominent and distinguished program at Cathedral. “The team is just getting started this year, and it’s small at the moment. We are looking to have a building year and would really like to have a bunch of freshmen and sophomores come check out our practices and try the sport out,” Maestro Lee said.

For many, fencing holds the appeal of individualistic competition without having to rely on the effort or talent of others. Sophomore fencer Shelby Sprigg said, “I like fencing because it is very competitive, and you do not necessarily have to work as a team.”

As for the team dynamic, everything is very laid-back and almost like a family. “Everyone is very friendly and supportive of one another during practices,” Shelby said.”We help each other out and give feedback so that we are ready to perform our best at competitions.”

The fencing team participates in four competitions, interspersed throughout the winter season. “Competitions are intense, fun, and tough,” Maestro Lee said. “We compete against kids who fence a lot, so it can be daunting at first. But, believe it or not, we have some kids at Cathedral who fence on the national stage and do quite well. So, while our numbers are few, we still hold our own.”

Though not a CIF sport, fencing is rapidly expanding on a large scale. It is one of the premier sports for NCAA scholarships, especially for women. One of Cathedral’s own seniors, Taylor Walsh, is currently being recruited to fence at Notre Dame University.

For students interested in becoming a part of the new addition to Cathedral’s extensive repertoire of activities, practices are on Wednesdays and Fridays from 2:30 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. in the green room.

“We welcome beginners! Come one, come all. Anyone is welcome to join, and everyone on the team loves introducing our sport to people,” said Maestro Lee. “Fencing is like stepping into a video game. It’s extremely fast; the tip of a weapon reaches about 150 miles per hour, and you’re six feet away from your opponent. It is full speed, full contact, and you don’t have to hold back. Other benefits like building coordination, speed, flexibility, timing, strength, and tactical awareness are notable too.”