Boys basketball tips off anticipated season

After coming off one of the best seasons in Uni/Cathedral history, the Dons boys basketball team looks forward to another successful season. Last year the Dons defied all odds and silenced all critics by going 30-4, winning CIF, and making semis in the State tournament. Most successful high school basketball teams are built on a strong group of seniors, but last year’s team was filled with an upstart junior group.

Coming into the 2012-2013 season the Dons return all but one player, and come in as one of, if not the top team in San Diego County.

The Dons will be headlined this year by seniors such as Xavier Williams, Niksha Federico, Michael Rosenberg, Nick Prunty, and Brandon Michel. The Dons also have a handful of newcomers who will be exciting to watch in the next couple of years. One in particular is freshman Reed Johnson, who will be a force for the Dons’ front court.

The Dons are already off to a quick 3-0 start after three double-digit wins in the Wolf Pack-Horsemen Tournament. The Dons will travel up to Santa Barbara later in the month for the National Prep Classic before returning home to wrap up their non-league schedule.

After the controversial ending to the football season, the basketball team will surely inject some optimism and cheer into the Dons this season. Fans should look forward to back-to-back CIF titles, and potentially bringing back a State title to the Claver Center, the first since 1998.