Girls water polo passionate, determined, stronger

Preparing to start off their season strong, Cathedral Catholic’s girl’s varsity water polo team has once again begun seasonal training to prepare for in-season league games.

With five starting seniors including team captains Jillian Wilding and Liz Mock, the team is expecting a strong overall season.

Liz commented on her team’s experience, saying, “We have improved drastically in all areas of the sport in just these past two months. We gratefully thank our new coaches, Brett and Thalia Ormsby, for their handwork and dedication to help us improve and play to our fullest potential.”

Water polo coach Mr. Brett Ormsby, who is also a Cathedral history and math teacher, has the girls on a three-hour practice schedule. Their conditioning includes weight lifting, land training, and drills with passing and shooting techniques involved.

Junior Emilie Myers said, “We usually will have practice everyday and then a tournament that weekend or a game during that week.”

After playing in tournaments throughout the Orange County and L.A areas, Liz Mock said that she is “…looking forward to see how teamwork will come together as [we] play league games against bishops, La Jolla, and Coronado in the upcoming week!”

Showing a passion for the sport and extreme dedication to playing hard and winning, the girl’s water polo team is off to a strong start.