This is our Home!

Throughout the history of sports the role of spectators has often been debated.  Is the outcome of a contest determined by what is called “the home field advantage”?   Its importance varies from sport to sport.

Willie Mays of the New York Giants says, “The home-field advantage in baseball, to me, I don’t understand. I had to play as well on the road as I did at home.”   On the other hand, the UCLA Bruins college basketball team of the John Wooden era won an amazing 88 straight games, most of them at home.

Last year, the Division III (DIII) Champion Dons Football team was unbeaten at home, a perfect 7-0 in Manchester Stadium.  And the 2009-2010 Varsity Baseball team’s 9-2 at CCHS, eventually led them to a CIF Finalist spot for DIII.

Beating the Dons at home continues to be challenging.  Dons and Lady Dons alike have been maintaining the advantage.  Boy’s Water Polo boasts a 5-0-1 record at home, as Girl’s Volleyball owns the home court with a 4-1 record in the Claver Center.  The only Fall Sport with a better campus record is the Girl’s Tennis team with an unbeaten 5-0.

Being only five years old, CCHS utilizes some of the finest athletic facilities in the San Diego Section.  As a way of earning such facilities, the expectations of Cathedral’s athletes and fans are raised to a higher level of competition.  Having some of the nicest “homes” for high school athletics in the county may be a reason for the documented success.

At Cathedral Catholic High School, the home field and home court advantage has played a significant role in its five-year history of CIF championships.  From fall Football to spring Baseball, the Dons have always played well at home.  The confidence that comes with playing for CCHS at home is unmatched.