Dons football builds momentum

Just last Friday, our Cathedral Catholic Dons came through again with a hard won victory against the Lincoln Hornets. By getting focused and doing what they do best, the Dons doubled their opponents score: 31-15; it’s a relatively newer team this year that’s starting to set that good old fashioned Dons rhythm we have come to know and love.

Coming into the big homecoming game after shutting out Scripps Ranch High School the previous week had the Dons sitting in a comfortable position. Thankfully, our CCHS team has learned not to keep themselves too comfortable this season, “Coach Doyle really got on us about finishing and not being satisfied, so we practiced that, and it carried over into the game,” said Fullback Szongaia Brown.
Cathedral’s newfound outlook was “We take it one game at a time, and we prepare by watching a ton of film and going hard at practice,” Brown said. That practice definitely showed this time as the team played an especially impressive game. Captain Johnny Martin led the way with 4 touchdowns, 192 yards rushing, 16 carries, and some critical interceptions;  a further display that “we played very hard and physical and our attitude was to get the lead early and dominate them.”

With another Victory in hand and some of their toughest opponents behind them, Cathedral has taken control once again, “Lincoln was just a stepping stone, but we did use that game to set the tone for the rest of the league,” Said Brown. “The Dons aren’t done.” Now that is something the fans can count on as the Dons face a tough, athletic Mira Mesa team on Friday.