Montali sees 2010 football Dons similar to ’99 team

Montali sees 2010 football Dons similar to 99 team

Friday September 24, facing an 0 and 3 record that stuck the fans, coaching staff and players alike as foreign, history uncovered in an attempt to combat the rumors, lack of faith, and unrest that surrounded the Don’s varsity football team of 2010.  It was the story of the 1999 Don’s football team that, despite and 0 and 5 record, overcame the scrutiny, doubt, and frustration to win the CIF title.

“The [1999] team morale was down for two reasons” says Coach John Montali. “First was that we came off the 1998 season ranked second best in the county with a 12 and 1 record and the team had won CIF.” Secondly, the ’99 team suffered some major injuries early on, was left in the shadow of the previous team’s talent, and was subject to a difficult schedule to top it all off. Expectations were set high by the team of ’98, and hopes dwindled in light of the winless record after the first five games of the season.

In spite of the unfavorable odds, the team has its bright spots.  Team members included Justin Green, who went on to play for the New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens, and Carlos Quentin, who ended up in the MLB as a member of the Chicago White Sox.  These stars experienced injury recovery and a shift in team motivation unfolded as a success story unlike any other in Don’s history.

Eleven years later, the 2010 Don’s face many of the same challenges.  As the crowds of the Manchester stadium thin, suspensions render athletes unable to play, and a difficult schedule pits the young team against four top five teams (of San Diego county) to start the season. It is undeniable that a source of inspiration and hope is sought by all those invested in the team.

This inspiration and hope might be found in the veteran stars of the team such as Johnny Martin or Chance Early and the slim margin by which the team has slipped.

“Most of our games have come down to the wire,” says Coach Montali. “We really could be 3 and 1 instead of 1 and 3.”

His point is valid of course, but the stumble is no reason for a loss of faith or hope as shown by the team’s September 24th victory at the eighth-ranked Carlsbad High School.

“If the team stays healthy and works into the playoffs, all of the Division 3 schools are beatable if we play up to our potential!” says Montali. He says recovery is definitely possible assuming the team stays together.

The comparison between the team of ’99 and this year’s squad holds a clear and succinct message: the season is far from over, and, undoubtedly, expectations can still be met.  In lieu of the record, the struggle, and the universal frustration, Dons, supporters and participants alike, must keep in mind that the goals are far from out of reach, for the team is more than capable of carrying the torch that the 2009 team has passed along.

Now that fans and players have come down from the high generated by last year’s seemingly insurmountable team, the numbers 3 and 1 seem so incredibly foreign but the season is far from over and hope can be rekindled.

Montali said, “We know the expectation is a CIF championship and I think, without a doubt, it’s still a reality.”