Varsity tennis still shining in Division 2

The girl’s varsity tennis team has made a name for themselves, with an 18 and 0 record last year and moving up to Division 2 this year. The team is led by their captains, seniors, Haley Sanchez and Ashley Mullen. When asked if moving up to Division 2 has been a goal Coach Ron Marquez said that it was bound to happen with the tennis team getting bigger every year.

The tennis team is working hard this season, with League and CIF in their sight. Their biggest competition for League is La Jolla and for CIF, Westview and Canyon Crest. The team works together with no real “star player”, the team’s success is contributed to everyone. The players on the team stand the same as last year, with addition to Freshman Lucrecia Mestre.

The team works hard on a daily basis with practices Monday to Thursday from 2:20 to 5. Their practices consist of a 15 minute warm-up, 1 hour of drills and practice matches and 1 hour of conditioning in the weight room. They usually have matches on Fridays that start at 3 and can sometimes go to 7.

As of this weekend, the team has won seven and lost one.  The loss was to La Jolla, a team they will travel to meet again on Thursday, October 7th.  After that, the next big match is October 25th vs. Torrey Pines. share together.